Sharing An Office Jet 5610 All in One

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Sharing An Office Jet 5610 All in One

Postby argedion » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51

As the Subject mentions I have an Office Jet 5610 All in One Printer that I am trying to share between 3 Computers.

Computer Number 1:
Laptop running Fedora 12 with the Gnome desktop. This is the computer to which the printer is physically connected to. I have no issues printing from this printer at the laptop. I have installed both samba and cups. I can access cups online and manage the printer from the Laptop with no issues I have checked to make sure sharing was turned on and in the laptop i have made sure that internet sharing with the printer is turned on.

Computer Number 2:
Desktop running Sabayon 5.1 with the Gnome desktop. I can see the printer and it tells me that its ready. I try to print a simple test page and i get error: Destination Printer not accepting Jobs. I'm not sure if this is a Sabayon issue a Cups issue or a Fedora Issue.

Computer Number 3
Desktop running that Redmond Crap (Wifes Computer) Yeah Redmond wont even find the network printer much less print to it.

Any help would be greatly Appriciated. Hopefully we can get this figured out so I can move on to my next problem of not being able to access my windows network that i can see
argedion
Baby Hen

Re: Sharing An Office Jet 5610 All in One

Postby iamkrazee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38

Computer Number 2:
Desktop running Sabayon 5.1 with the Gnome desktop. I can see the printer and it tells me that its ready. I try to print a simple test page and i get error: Destination Printer not accepting Jobs. I'm not sure if this is a Sabayon issue a Cups issue or a Fedora Issue.

Computer Number 3
Desktop running that Redmond Crap (Wifes Computer) Yeah Redmond wont even find the network printer much less print to it.

For Computer #2 :
Step 1 : '#equo install hplip'
Step 2 : Add network printer using hp tool.
Step 3 : Print.

For Computer #3 :
It's samba specific, not windows. Open windows explorer, in address bar : \\<ipAddr>.<of>.<Fedora>.<PC>\
^^ This'll help. Windows can't resolve the samba multicast names. You can configure your Fedora to do same, but this method is far better.

Also, Have you considered print server?
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Re: Sharing An Office Jet 5610 All in One

Postby E.M.G. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 15:50

A print server is the "cats-ass" ... I picked up a cheap used linksys wireless multifunction print server from ebay for $20 US and haven't looked back since ... no more issues of sharing ... its a snap to setup in less than 3 mins ... I use an HP 2350 all in one after installing hplip I just use cups (or KDE printer app) they both work fine and setup is done ....
E.M.G.
Simple Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless