WEP and WPA

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

WEP and WPA

Postby tmacuk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 16:34

Hey I am new to the forum and also the Sabayon world so please do easy on me.

I have been a user of Ubuntu for a while now and I have always had troubles connecting to my wireless internet using a WG311v3 card. The encryption has always been WPA-PSK. I recently just installed Sabayon to my laptop and after tampering with ndiswrapper I got that working quite well (although I cannot get it to run on boot up even after adding ndiswrapper to /etc/modules). I was just sorting something out on my Ubuntu box now and I changed the security on the router to 128 bit WEP and it doesn't work on Sabayon anymore. The strange thing is that both lights turn Green, but it just doesn't seem to finalise the connection. I have deleted all the connections out of the Network Connections and still no dice.

So after that long and exhausted speech I have two problems:

1. Why doesn't ndiswrapper boot on start up even though I have it in /etc/modules
2. Why won't the WEP security work on my laptop?

The wireless card in my laptop is Realtek RTL8192SE

Thanks in advance.
tmacuk
Baby Hen

Re: WEP and WPA

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 19:15

Welcome to SL.

tmacuk wrote:after tampering with ndiswrapper I got that working quite well (although I cannot get it to run on boot up even after adding ndiswrapper to /etc/modules)"

You have to declare modules you want to be loaded at boot in /etc/conf.d/modules, not /etc/modules.

tmacuk wrote:Why won't the WEP security work on my laptop?

No idea. It's not a general problem with SL, as WEP works fine for me, but then I don't use NDISwrapper (some other SL users do, though). Have a look at the SL Wiki article Using Broadcom wireless and ndiswrapper w/Sabayon miniEd in case that gives you some ideas. I know it's not your hardware, but it shows how to set up WEP with NDISwrapper, so it might point you in the right direction.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless