tightvnc

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

tightvnc

Postby motalia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 0:03

Hi
Any body have an answer to this. Sabayon 5.1 kde4 installed on 3 64 bit computers. All have latest updates so all are the same. Tightvnc installed on all 3. two of them can vnc to each other when the vncserver is started by a user with no problem. The third machine will only let the other two connect if the vncserver is started on this machine as a root user,
and when the other two log in they get root privileges, not good. If the third machine start vncserver as a user the other machines receive the message 'vncviewer: VNC server closed connection' All permissions on the files on all machines are the same. There are is no explanation in the .vnc log file as to why the connection was refused. Having searched the net for an answer any help would be appreciated.

Ralph
motalia
Baby Hen

Re: tightvnc

Postby motalia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 23:03

ok 12 months latter I'll answer my own question.
The problem was that I had the read write permission on the the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files set 600
ie _rw______ readable only by root
setting them to 644 _rw_r__r__ solved the problem. The reason this came about was that the machine causing the problem faced the net and was running DenyHosts (a program that give hackers or genuine uses 3 attempts to log in, if they fail they are blocked for ever or a set time depending on how you configure it) the other 2 machines did not have either file present.
To change these permission as root enter :- chmod 644 file-name. Hope this helps somebody.
motalia
Baby Hen

Re: tightvnc

Postby DanySK » Sun Jul 04, 2010 20:22

Please add the tag [Solved] to the topic title: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=17059 , thanks :mrgreen:
DanySK
Technological Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless