Setting up a static ip address

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Setting up a static ip address

Postby saphetiger » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:44

I'm trying to setup a static ip address for my computer for port forwarding and such. I got it so that net.eth0 sets the ip address and I ran rc-config add net.eth0 boot. Now it comes up fine, but when I shut down it just keeps saying
net.eth0: waiting for localmount
When I look at /var/log/rc.log it tells me that localmount requires fsck and that it can't start. If I remove net.eth0 from with rc-config it boots and shuts down fine, but will not setup the nic.
Any ideas?
saphetiger
Baby Hen

Re: Setting up a static ip address

Postby albfneto » Sun Dec 06, 2009 14:37

Well.... making Static IP connections in Linux, is some difficult because the system turns DHCP attibution of the dynamic IPs, the preferential process!
if you set staic IP, this turned dynamic automatic...

Please try this...

I have in mind that you have the default networkmanager or GNOME net daemon, auto etho enabled, the nomal sabayon conection
make this:

1) use "sudo net-setup" command, and for a while, make the provisory net connection, use your static ips, you gateway, youDNS servers... you will connect....

2) Whithout reboot the comp, you may open sulfur and REMOVE all the networkmanagers: networkmanager, knetworkmanager, nm-net applet, auto eth0 packages etc... etc... after, you need to REMOVE ALL the DHCP support, the DHCP in your system, should be null, totally removed!

3) then, you cam install ONLY ONE network client WICD, but without DHCP Deps....! the use WICD configurated fo STATIC IP, your gateway, you DNS servers etc... etc...

the only HOW-TO that a know is in Italian language: but the commands, links etc are the sama that you will use.i have in mind that you may read using google translator, if you do not read Italian language...:
see the link in:

http://www.sabayonmania-forum.com/sabayonlinux-problemi-generali-f15/configurare-ip-statico-t4335.htm

and cited links.in the moment that write this Sabayon Mania Forum is outline!
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby d_logan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 21:41

This was the problem I was having and how I was able to fix it:

I had already removed NetworkManager from default runlevel. Running net-setup somehow was always able to get my interface working, but after that, if I did /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart I would get the message that eth0 started but is inactive, or something similar to that. Doing ifconfig eth0 up did not help. ip route ls only showed an entry for the loopback address 127.0.0.1. However, after running net-setup, ip route ls would show me my default gateway.

After browsing through these forums for a while, I kept seeing the same BS about uninstalling Networkmanager, disabling all dhcp clients, etc. That wasn't the problem for me.

What was killing me was ifplugd. I noticed it was being stopped and started with the net.eth0 script. I removed ifplugd "equo remove ifplugd". Now when I restart net.eth0 everything works, no errors. I have my static IP. I hope this helps someone.
d_logan
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:58

albfneto wrote:Well.... making Static IP connections in Linux, is some difficult because the system turns DHCP attibution of the dynamic IPs, the preferential process!
if you set staic IP, this turned dynamic automatic...

I have to say that I don't have this problem. The SL forums are littered with posts from people who cannot set up a static IP address with NetworkManager and end up removing it and installing Wicd instead. However I can use both dynamic and static IPs with NetworkManager without any trouble. The office I'm in today required me to set up my laptop with a static IP address, so I just clicked on the KDE Network Management widget on the Panel, clicked on 'Manage Connections...' > Wired > Add and added a wired connection with a static IP address, subnet mask, gateway IP address and DNS servers' IP addresses. I can access the network without problems. Using NetworkManager I now have connections configured for WiFi 802.11 using DHCP (encrypted and unencrypted home, office and public/hotel networks), wired Ethernet using DHCP (home, office and hotel networks), wired Ethernet using Static IP address (office network), and G3 mobile broadband using PPP with HSDPA USB modem (public network), and they all work.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless