Sabayon 5 k network problem [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5 k network problem [Solved]

Postby tekwyzrd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 23:12

I installed sabayon 5 today. I have been running sabayon for a couple years now, and each time immediately after install I was able to connect using my at&t dsl with no additional configuration. With the newest version I am unable to access the internet. I can access the dsl modem info but can't access the internet. What a nightmare. Why are user names no longer allowed to start with a number? Why was the root password config in the installer moved below the admin user, and why is the default to have admin and root users use the same password?
Last edited by tekwyzrd on Sat Dec 12, 2009 22:11, edited 2 times in total.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Re: Sabayon 5 k network problem

Postby tekwyzrd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 23:52

I am unable to access the internet with the installed version or the live disk. Before you ask, yes, I checked the burn and it was ok.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:44

You can have different passwords for each account, click in the box and type the passwords u want.

Networking
hardware?
logs?
DNS issue? Since it all seems to be working, I would look at this first.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 16:23

I suspect the problem might be the kde network manager. Unfortunately if I try to uninstall it via sulfur I'm prompted that all other kde 4.3.1 components must be removed as well. I'll load the live v4.2, download the v5.0g iso, and give it a try. I suspect it will have no problem accessing the internet.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 19:07

tekwyzrd wrote: Unfortunately if I try to uninstall it via sulfur I'm prompted that all other kde 4.3.1 components must be removed as well.

You can always use equo from a terminal and use the --nodeps option. e.g.
Code: Select all
equo remove packagename --nodeps --ask
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 19:15

dunsurfin wrote:
tekwyzrd wrote: Unfortunately if I try to uninstall it via sulfur I'm prompted that all other kde 4.3.1 components must be removed as well.

You can always use equo from a terminal and use the --nodeps option. e.g.
Code: Select all
equo remove packagename --nodeps --ask

OK, I'll give that a try after the 5.0g iso finishes downloading.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 19:33

wolfden wrote:You can have different passwords for each account, click in the box and type the passwords u want.

When entering the admin password, the root password fields are automatically filled with the admin password. If you enter the desired root password then enter the admin password, the root password is replaced by the admin password. The only way to use separate passwords is to enter the admin password, remove the text in the root password spaces, and type in the desired root password. It seems to me that automatically entering the admin password as the root password presents opportunities for security problems.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 21:22

No internet with 5.0g either. I've tried with and without the router. I'm unable to access the dsl modem info or the router info page. It looks like I might have to install v4.2 again.
Last edited by tekwyzrd on Mon Oct 05, 2009 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 21:35

The modem works fine, the router works fine. I'm able to access the info pages for both using the old win2k computer I'm using to post this message. I'm wondering now if there's a problem with the dhcp or if there's an ip address conflict
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:18

tekwyzrd wrote:
wolfden wrote:You can have different passwords for each account, click in the box and type the passwords u want.

When entering the admin password, the root password fields are automatically filled with the admin password. If you enter the desired root password then enter the admin password, the root password is replaced by the admin password. The only way to use separate passwords is to enter the admin password, remove the text in the root password spaces, and type in the desired root password. It seems to me that automatically entering the admin password as the root password presents opportunities for security problems.

Yes, that part of the installer was probably the biggest change and the testers all voiced their concerns on it, I included. I guess it boiled down to, if you can change it, problem solved. I guess it was redesigned to cause less confusion with people. I agree that the two should never be the same, but there are people that prefer sudo type systems.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless