Page 2 of 3

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 18:27
by wolfden
merging topic

Please do not make more than one topic, stick to one post to get proper help

Re: How to install manually downloaded packages?

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 20:14
by Nichiren
Miles C. wrote:It doesn't. When you do

Code: Select all

equo install wicd
You're downloading wicd from the repository and then installing it. You shouldn't have a need to manually download packages, and as such, you can delete the ones you've already downloaded.
If you had read what I wrote (or at least the topic title), then you would know that I cannot connect to the internet, and therefore I cannot download anything from the online repositories :roll:

The only reason I want wicd is that I cannot connect to the internet, because the Network Manager is broken and won't let me create any dsl connections, due to the dsl tab being deactivated :evil:
If I could connect to the internet in the first place, then I would have no need for wicd.

Of course, the wiki doesn't help here either, because it requires you to have internet access in order to download wicd.

So I have downloaded the wicd package with Windows from here:
http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy/sta ... 6.1~0.tbz2

Now I just need to know how to install this package that is already on my hard disk.
I have already tried the info from the entropy guide:
Where does entropy download the packages too?
They are downloaded and stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/ for instance on my amd64 using branch 4 they are stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4
I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it :x

Thus my question remains: How do I install wicd without internet access? I already have the package.
Alternatively, tell me how to enable the dsl tab in Network Manager so I can create a dsl connection.

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 21:24
by ReemZ
Did you try from live-dvd to see if your internet works then?
If so, chroot into your installed environment and install wicd from there.

Re: How to install manually downloaded packages?

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:38
by wolfden
Nichiren wrote:
Miles C. wrote:It doesn't. When you do

Code: Select all

equo install wicd
You're downloading wicd from the repository and then installing it. You shouldn't have a need to manually download packages, and as such, you can delete the ones you've already downloaded.
If you had read what I wrote (or at least the topic title), then you would know that I cannot connect to the internet, and therefore I cannot download anything from the online repositories :roll:

The only reason I want wicd is that I cannot connect to the internet, because the Network Manager is broken and won't let me create any dsl connections, due to the dsl tab being deactivated :evil:
If I could connect to the internet in the first place, then I would have no need for wicd.

Of course, the wiki doesn't help here either, because it requires you to have internet access in order to download wicd.

So I have downloaded the wicd package with Windows from here:
http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy/sta ... 6.1~0.tbz2

Now I just need to know how to install this package that is already on my hard disk.
I have already tried the info from the entropy guide:
Where does entropy download the packages too?
They are downloaded and stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/ for instance on my amd64 using branch 4 they are stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4
I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it :x

Thus my question remains: How do I install wicd without internet access? I already have the package.
Alternatively, tell me how to enable the dsl tab in Network Manager so I can create a dsl connection.
Look at Sulfur to install it, you should be able use that to install downloaded packages.

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:46
by joeoden
Nichiren wrote:I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it
Open Sulfur, then click on Sulfur - Install from binary package and point to the program location
In your case /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4/net-misc:wicd-1.6.1~0.tbz2

Hope it helps
Joe

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 20:40
by Nichiren
joeoden wrote:
Nichiren wrote:I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it
Open Sulfur, then click on Sulfur - Install from binary package and point to the program location
In your case /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4/net-misc:wicd-1.6.1~0.tbz2
I tried that, and it gave me a couple of dependencies it still neeed. So I downloaded them all as well and tried again.
These in turn required themselves each some dependencies, so I again went back to Windows, downloaded them all and tried to install them.
Those again, however... yes, they again required some dependencies :evil:
After this went on for quite some time, and after three notes full of dependencies with no end in sight, I decided to stop this dependency madness to preserve my sanity.

If anyone has a way to fix the broken Network Manager so I can create a dsl connection, or an alternative to wicd which *doesn't* require you to manually download hundreds of dependencies, I'm all yours.
Otherwise I'll have to look for a different distro - which would be a shame, as the ati driver and compiz are working really well, but without internet access Sabayon is useless for me :(

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 20:45
by ReemZ
Not entirely sure about this, but I think I've heard something about NOT running NM when using wicd...

btw did you try from a live-environment yet, like I asked?

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 21:13
by Nichiren
ReemZ wrote:Not entirely sure about this, but I think I've heard something about NOT running NM when using wicd...
I already removed the network Manager before trying to install wicd.
Besides that, that would only apply if I was able to install wicd... but I can't because of its hundreds of never-ending dependencies :x
ReemZ wrote:btw did you try from a live-environment yet, like I asked?
As could already be expected, it didn't work from the live-environment either, as it has the very same broken Network Manager.

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 21:28
by Fitzcarraldo
Looking at /usr/src/kernel/.config it appears that Marvell Yukon2 support is configured as a module in the SL 2.6.29 kernel:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_SKY2=m
I wonder if you need to rebuild the kernel and select it as an in-kernel driver? See: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Sky2

EDIT: And/or maybe you need to install the new driver version? See: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDi ... iverId=153

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 0:53
by Nichiren
Fitzcarraldo wrote:Looking at /usr/src/kernel/.config it appears that Marvell Yukon2 support is configured as a module in the SL 2.6.29 kernel:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_SKY2=m
I wonder if you need to rebuild the kernel and select it as an in-kernel driver? See: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Sky2

EDIT: And/or maybe you need to install the new driver version? See: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDi ... iverId=153
Ok, I'll give this one last try, although I doubt that fixes it :(
The problem is not the Marvell Yukon 2 support, but the broken Network Manager, which doesn't let me create a dsl connection.
It would really be a good idea to fix the Network Manager for the next Sabayon release.