Can't connect to the internet

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Post by wolfden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 18:27

merging topic

Please do not make more than one topic, stick to one post to get proper help

Nichiren
Baby Hen

Re: How to install manually downloaded packages?

Post by Nichiren » Mon Jul 13, 2009 20:14

Miles C. wrote:It doesn't. When you do

Code: Select all

equo install wicd
You're downloading wicd from the repository and then installing it. You shouldn't have a need to manually download packages, and as such, you can delete the ones you've already downloaded.
If you had read what I wrote (or at least the topic title), then you would know that I cannot connect to the internet, and therefore I cannot download anything from the online repositories :roll:

The only reason I want wicd is that I cannot connect to the internet, because the Network Manager is broken and won't let me create any dsl connections, due to the dsl tab being deactivated :evil:
If I could connect to the internet in the first place, then I would have no need for wicd.

Of course, the wiki doesn't help here either, because it requires you to have internet access in order to download wicd.

So I have downloaded the wicd package with Windows from here:
http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy/sta ... 6.1~0.tbz2

Now I just need to know how to install this package that is already on my hard disk.
I have already tried the info from the entropy guide:
Where does entropy download the packages too?
They are downloaded and stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/ for instance on my amd64 using branch 4 they are stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4
I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it :x

Thus my question remains: How do I install wicd without internet access? I already have the package.
Alternatively, tell me how to enable the dsl tab in Network Manager so I can create a dsl connection.

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 21:24

Did you try from live-dvd to see if your internet works then?
If so, chroot into your installed environment and install wicd from there.
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: How to install manually downloaded packages?

Post by wolfden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:38

Nichiren wrote:
Miles C. wrote:It doesn't. When you do

equo install wicd
You're downloading wicd from the repository and then installing it. You shouldn't have a need to manually download packages, and as such, you can delete the ones you've already downloaded.
If you had read what I wrote (or at least the topic title), then you would know that I cannot connect to the internet, and therefore I cannot download anything from the online repositories :roll:

The only reason I want wicd is that I cannot connect to the internet, because the Network Manager is broken and won't let me create any dsl connections, due to the dsl tab being deactivated :evil:
If I could connect to the internet in the first place, then I would have no need for wicd.

Of course, the wiki doesn't help here either, because it requires you to have internet access in order to download wicd.

So I have downloaded the wicd package with Windows from here:
http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy/sta ... 6.1~0.tbz2

Now I just need to know how to install this package that is already on my hard disk.
I have already tried the info from the entropy guide:
Where does entropy download the packages too?
They are downloaded and stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/ for instance on my amd64 using branch 4 they are stored in /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4
I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it :x

Thus my question remains: How do I install wicd without internet access? I already have the package.
Alternatively, tell me how to enable the dsl tab in Network Manager so I can create a dsl connection.
Look at Sulfur to install it, you should be able use that to install downloaded packages.

joeoden
Old Dear Hen
Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Post by joeoden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:46

Nichiren wrote:I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it
Open Sulfur, then click on Sulfur - Install from binary package and point to the program location
In your case /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4/net-misc:wicd-1.6.1~0.tbz2

Hope it helps
Joe
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!

Nichiren
Baby Hen

Post by Nichiren » Tue Jul 14, 2009 20:40

joeoden wrote:
Nichiren wrote:I have copied the package to /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4, but equo still doesn't find it
Open Sulfur, then click on Sulfur - Install from binary package and point to the program location
In your case /var/lib/entropy/packages/amd64/4/net-misc:wicd-1.6.1~0.tbz2
I tried that, and it gave me a couple of dependencies it still neeed. So I downloaded them all as well and tried again.
These in turn required themselves each some dependencies, so I again went back to Windows, downloaded them all and tried to install them.
Those again, however... yes, they again required some dependencies :evil:
After this went on for quite some time, and after three notes full of dependencies with no end in sight, I decided to stop this dependency madness to preserve my sanity.

If anyone has a way to fix the broken Network Manager so I can create a dsl connection, or an alternative to wicd which *doesn't* require you to manually download hundreds of dependencies, I'm all yours.
Otherwise I'll have to look for a different distro - which would be a shame, as the ati driver and compiz are working really well, but without internet access Sabayon is useless for me :(

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Tue Jul 14, 2009 20:45

Not entirely sure about this, but I think I've heard something about NOT running NM when using wicd...

btw did you try from a live-environment yet, like I asked?
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!

Nichiren
Baby Hen

Post by Nichiren » Tue Jul 14, 2009 21:13

ReemZ wrote:Not entirely sure about this, but I think I've heard something about NOT running NM when using wicd...
I already removed the network Manager before trying to install wicd.
Besides that, that would only apply if I was able to install wicd... but I can't because of its hundreds of never-ending dependencies :x
ReemZ wrote:btw did you try from a live-environment yet, like I asked?
As could already be expected, it didn't work from the live-environment either, as it has the very same broken Network Manager.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 21:28

Looking at /usr/src/kernel/.config it appears that Marvell Yukon2 support is configured as a module in the SL 2.6.29 kernel:

CONFIG_SKY2=m
I wonder if you need to rebuild the kernel and select it as an in-kernel driver? See: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Sky2

EDIT: And/or maybe you need to install the new driver version? See: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDi ... iverId=153

Nichiren
Baby Hen

Post by Nichiren » Wed Jul 15, 2009 0:53

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Looking at /usr/src/kernel/.config it appears that Marvell Yukon2 support is configured as a module in the SL 2.6.29 kernel:

CONFIG_SKY2=m
I wonder if you need to rebuild the kernel and select it as an in-kernel driver? See: http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Sky2

EDIT: And/or maybe you need to install the new driver version? See: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDi ... iverId=153
Ok, I'll give this one last try, although I doubt that fixes it :(
The problem is not the Marvell Yukon 2 support, but the broken Network Manager, which doesn't let me create a dsl connection.
It would really be a good idea to fix the Network Manager for the next Sabayon release.