Networkmanager-openvpn issue

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Networkmanager-openvpn issue

Postby m4dsc1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 16:17

I seem to be having a problem that i have read across multiple platforms, but have not seen a post for sabayon. The problem i'm having is that openvpn requires the '--script-security level 2' to be sent as an argument to allow the up.sh and down.sh scripts to run. The problem doesn't seem to exist from command line because the init.d/openvpn call has the args there, but when using openvpn through networkmanager, it uses a different call. From my log/messages i see:
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper tap0 1500 1574 <internal address> <netmask> init
openvpn_execve: external program may not be called due to setting of --script-security level
script failed: external program fork failed
Exiting

This causes my openvpn to get to 80% and then fail. Although i can just use the command line to get through for now, it would be nice to have everything work through network manager. Does anyone know where the values are supplied to the nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper binary from network manager that i can force in the --script-security level 2?

Inside of /etc/NetworkManager/VPN/nm-openvpn-service.name is:
Code: Select all
[VPN CONNECTION]
name=openvpn
service=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn
program=/usr/bin/nm-openvpn-service

[GNOME]
auth-dialog=/usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-auth-dialog
properties=/usr/lib/libnm-openvpn-properties

This is a fresh install of 3.5-r1 that has been updated to use openvpn-2.1_rc9 and networkmanager-openvpn-0.3.3.
m4dsc1
Baby Hen

Re: Networkmanager-openvpn issue

Postby m4dsc1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 16:41

I've made my life easier by reverting back to net-misc/openvpn-2.0.9, however, i would expect a better solution to come around sometime soon, yes?

--
m4dsc1
Baby Hen

Postby tman7510 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 17:04

I'm having the exact same problem. I was using kvpnc to connect and it worked fine untill I updated my system. Now I have the same error with kvpnc and network manager. I have tried to revert ot an older kvpnc but it wont emerge. I havent tried it from the command line yet so I guess I can give that a try! Let me know if you find a solution 8)
tman7510
Simple Hen

Postby thenthenio » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:00

Hello everybody.
I'm trying to have my OpenVPN running through KNetworkManager, but I do not even understand how to configure it.
I try to better explain:
My Linux box is a fresh SL3.5 x86_64.
On my system KNetworkManager, NetworkManager and NetworkManager-OpenVPN are already installed.
OpenVPN is 2.1_rc6.
I took my openvpn configuration (keys etc.) from a Window$ PC.
Running /etc/init.d/openvpn start I get connected in few seconds.
Right clicking on KNetworkManager:
- The VPN connection submenu has just a greyed disconnect VPN option.
- Going to Options > Configure > VPN connections and clicking on add button I cannot give a name to the VPN connection because it says (in the lower box in Italian) something like: "No configuration interface found. There is no configuration interface for VPN service installed. Please check installation.".
I looked on the Internet for KNetworkManager VPN connection howtos, faqs and walked through the KNetworkManager online manual, but I did not find anything telling how to setup the configuration interface for OpenVPN with KNetworkManager.

Did anyone succeeded configuring OpenVPN on KNetworkManager?

Many thanks.
Mauro
thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Postby m4dsc1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 23:09

As a re-open to this problem to keep people current....

Even with Sabayon 5.OH! you cannot get openvpn working with the base knetwork-manager. As a side solution i have once again reverted openvpn to version 2.0.9 and grabbed the latest kvpnc and it appears to work.

There is no love from Knetwork-Manager, still.

--
m4dsc1
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless