rt73usb

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

rt73usb

Postby MagnusB » Sun Apr 13, 2008 16:11

I have just started using Sabayon, and I must say I am very impressed. 3D effects out of the box on a 3 year old desktop! But I have a small issue with a wireless USB dongle I got, a Sitecom one (I could provide details if this is needed) which I know works with the rt73usb module, or at least it does in kubuntu. But for some reason it does not work in Sabayon.
The dongle is detected, the rt73 module is loaded and it brings out wlan0, but it does not detect any networks and is unable to connect when I manually set it up. I looked at the wiki entry about this module, but when I followed the steps I found that a few things was missing. rt2500 & rt73 is not installed on my system, but rt73-firmware was installed, and none of the *.ko files were present either, could this be the issue? I could us a wire connection to get these modules, which a bit of a hassle... Any help is appreciated, and if you need more information, please ask..
MagnusB
Baby Hen

Re: rt73usb

Postby TuxFU » Wed Apr 16, 2008 16:45

Don't know if this will help or not...Since I have a PCI wireless card. But this is what I would try...

Do you have windows drivers for it?

Load them with ndiswrapper

First make sure your device is listed by typing lsusb this should show all your devices...

Next change directory to your folder with your windows USB driver...

You need the .inf file

Type ndiswrapper -i yourdriver.inf this installs your driver
To be sure it installed type ndiswrapper -l this should show your device present
Next type ndiswrapper -mi to write the module configuration
Type iwlist scanning this should show your wireless network
Now your ready to set-up your network
Type net-setup and the on screen guide should be easy to follow
you can check after you run this by typing ifconfig to see if you have been assigned an IPaddress
You may after this point need to click on your network manager and click on your wireless network the first time to get it to load up...

To get the autoload at boot .. You need to go into your /etc folder in there is a folder called module.autoload.d or something like that. You will need to be a super user in konsole or use your superuser file manager to edit the file that is your kernel type probably 2.6? Unless your on the beta...At the bottom of that file type ndiswrapper. This is so it loads that module at start-up...

Hope this helps you out. Sometimes you have to go through these steps more then once except for the last part writing in the file...But sometimes you need to go through these steps more then once for the network to be up at boot. Don't know why but sometimes it does that... After that it will boot everytime!Good Luck! :D Or you may have to click on your network at reboot to get the connection up but it should start doing it on reboot everytime.
TuxFU
Baby Hen

Postby TuxFU » Wed Apr 16, 2008 16:57

Or if it's already reading it try the iwlist scanning and then the net-setup... Something like that should work...
TuxFU
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Apr 16, 2008 18:05

The wiki one is a bit old for 3.2 about a year old already and we have made several changes.

1.1PE works with this apparently according to a post in the forums I have just read about this.

Best is to use ndiswrapper + windows 32bit xp pro driver something.inf to install with and then "rc-update ...." it + autoload the ndiswrapper during boot.
3.4F does not like the rt73 until fixed but can not find the fix for that right now.

Just check out the sticky about "before 3.4e ipw3945 ..." top for networking part of the forums for more ndiswrapper tricks.
Also make sure you get the latest ndiswrapper that you can during or after this just incase the one on the old 3.4F dvd is the unhappy one ?

Here should be a driver for it for use with ndiswrapper:
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrib ... iswrapper/

Please post the version of SL you are using + the normal hardware info as it helps to find a more applicable fix.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby MagnusB » Thu Apr 17, 2008 0:45

Sorry for my inactivity, but I have been rather busy. First off, thanks for all the suggestions, but sadly this does not work with ndiswrapper.
I was a bit unsure of what version of SL I was using, but after I checked the ISO I found it to be 3.4F.
1. I was checking ndiswrapper pages first thing when I got the desktop, it said it was supported by rt73.inf, but it wasn't, after an endless search just to find the windows driver, and finally installing it ndiswrapper -l did not return "Hardware present". And besides, I know this is supported by rt73usb, I just haven't been able to cross check the versions yet.
2. For several other reasons, mostly because I am busy with my bachelor degree, I have switched to Mandriva now, where everything worked out of the box, but if someone else have this issue I will post the module version, output of lsusb and the ndiswrapper wiki entry for reference:
lsusb wrote:Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0df6:9712 Sitecom Europe B.V.

modinfo wrote:filename: /lib/modules/2.6.24.4-desktop586-1mnb/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko.gz
license: GPL
firmware: rt73.bin
description: Ralink RT73 USB Wireless LAN driver.
version: 2.0.10
author: http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
srcversion: B5C715E868B7CC2ABB32CBC

ndiswrapper wiki wrote:Card: Sitecom WL-113 v2 USB (Device ID 0df6:9712)
Chipset: ZyDAS
Driver: rt73.inf, rt73.sys from installation CD ROM
Other: Works with Kernel 2.6.18 ndiswrapper-1.14-svn-rev-1940

I might look into Sabayon later on, it is definitely worth keeping an eye out for, especially since it comes with Dangerdeep and I have been unable to install that on any other distro, even Windows failed there, but right now I have to give it a pass. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.
MagnusB
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Apr 17, 2008 13:08

Cool waiting to see you return.

You could have just gotten the driver from the ftp ibiblio link I provided as it is usaully fun trying to get it + extract and then copy it over = ftp link much easier just copy and use.

Serial monkey also works and should be by default in the kernel used just after 3.4F version if I understand it correctly.
SL 1.1 Profesional Edition works out of the box by default with this as mentioned above. ftp or torrent download.

Best of luck with the studies.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless