Local networking between Sabayon PC and iMac

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Local networking between Sabayon PC and iMac

Postby purple_film » Wed Apr 09, 2008 0:05

Hi all,

I'm a new Sabayon user and I'm trying to set up a local network between a Linux Sabayon pc and an iMac Book... no way ! :?

Someone of you, guys, could be so kind to help me by showing me the various step I have to follow ? :oops:

Thank you so much for your consideration

bye

purplefilm
purple_film
Baby Hen

Re: Local networking between Sabayon PC and iMac

Postby xlnagla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34

first note - are you running OSX? If you are, you'll want to configure nfs on the Sabayon PC and imac, as they'll both use the service. If you're pre-OSX, I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41

OSX file sharing in sys prefs needs to be enabled as well , likely under firewall or networking or something.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby purple_film » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:03

Thank you so much for your very clear explanation, I'll try and and I'll tell if I succesed :-)

Best regards

purplefilm
purple_film
Baby Hen

Postby purple_film » Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:04

No way !

I passed all saturday trying to configure a network between Sabayon and iMac without any result, and bluetooth connection is too slow for my purposes.

Could you be so kind to show me a guide or a post which could help me to setup correctly NFS, making me able to transfer files between my notebooks ?

thank you so much

purplefilm
purple_film
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:12

If I remember correctly, nfs should already be set up - /etc/exports defines what you'll be sharing, and exportfs -a will update the server with any changes you make to /etc/exports. If it's not installed, you'll need to emerge nfs-utils. I'm not quite sure how to set up sharing on the Mac end, but it may be easier - actually, if exportfs -a as root does nothing, then I'd just set up an nfs directory on the mac using their guide (I'm sure they have one, search "sharing") and as root on Sabayon just mount it - "mount ip:/directory /localdirectory" on your Sabayon box to mount it.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless