Newbie-sabayon and wi-fi?[Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie-sabayon and wi-fi?[Solved]

Postby ..::alsat::.. » Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:25

Hi there! Iam completley new on linux.I have sabayon(very nice system and for free) :D When i install all was ok,sabayon recognize my wlan card on my laptop(Asus A8Jr series-wlan card ntel pro/wireless 2915abg)so i think should be ok.After installed system I go to KWiFiManager and he found my network(wep)so under WEP column I put my key and should be ok but its not.I dont know how to set up my wireless network on sabayon.System recognize it but wont connect. :( mayby drivers no good.
Please help anybody :(
Sorry for my language Iam polish.
Cheers.
Last edited by ..::alsat::.. on Sat Apr 05, 2008 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
..::alsat::..
Baby Hen

Re: Newbie-sabayon and wi-fi?

Postby freeallbadgers » Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:38

If you are using WEP, try configuring the card using net-setup in a console , run as root.
“I just finished compiling glibc and now it says there is a new update available? Arrgh! It never ends!!”
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby ..::alsat::.. » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38

Thank you for advice.Can you tel me how can I do that in console,please? :) Which command have to use?Iam very newbie and want learn.
Few days ago I tested PcLinux os live cd and wireless worked ok without any configuration :)
mayby this is drivers problem on sabayon(mayby dont have it).Or mayby i can try with another wi fi manager?Do you know other one?
Baby Hen

Postby ..::alsat::.. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 21:39

Ok,sory for my previous stupid question.Now I readed about this.I made net-setup,and choose my wlan card,everything made ok,but still cannot connect to my network.
But will try other ways.I will let know if I will solve tihs.
Regards.
Baby Hen

Postby watson540 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09

yes there is another way. net-setup is a good app, but considering that you stated your newb-ness I would beg to differ from freeallbadgers suggestion. I think NetworkMAnager is better suited for you (provided you're one of the luck 50 people it works for :)

you should already have the icon in the KDE system tray. If your wireless card is working that is..right click the icon for a list of options. It should be a breeze to set it up that way. I've never used kwifimanager so I cant help you.

If networkmanagetr doesnt work you will have to come back and tell us your make/model of wireless card and a few other things as it may not be finctioning correctly (buggy driver, particularly with a broadcom chipset)

EDIT: I see you already specified your cards chipset. I didnt read your post well enough at first ..im too lazy to delete the sentence above..
watson540
Simple Hen

Postby ..::alsat::.. » Fri Apr 04, 2008 23:52

watson540 wrote:yes there is another way. net-setup is a good app, but considering that you stated your newb-ness I would beg to differ from freeallbadgers suggestion. I think NetworkMAnager is better suited for you (provided you're one of the luck 50 people it works for :)

you should already have the icon in the KDE system tray. If your wireless card is working that is..right click the icon for a list of options. It should be a breeze to set it up that way. I've never used kwifimanager so I cant help you.

If networkmanagetr doesnt work you will have to come back and tell us your make/model of wireless card and a few other things as it may not be finctioning correctly (buggy driver, particularly with a broadcom chipset)

EDIT: I see you already specified your cards chipset. I didnt read your post well enough at first ..im too lazy to delete the sentence above..

You are TOP WINNER mate :D I done that and all wroks very nice :D Thank YOU very much!!!!!!!!!TOP MAN!!!Cheers!
Baby Hen

Postby watson540 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:54

Thank you for keeping us updated and letting us know it works!! Im glad for you, and welcome to the forums.

Also just one favor I would have you do me in return for helping you out, if you could remember...Just in the future, when a question/post of your has been solved if you could just edit your post and add [SOLVED] in front of the topic. That way it benefits the future would-be sabayon users as well :)

Good Luck
watson540
Simple Hen

Postby ..::alsat::.. » Sat Apr 05, 2008 17:50

watson540 wrote:Thank you for keeping us updated and letting us know it works!! Im glad for you, and welcome to the forums.

Also just one favor I would have you do me in return for helping you out, if you could remember...Just in the future, when a question/post of your has been solved if you could just edit your post and add [SOLVED] in front of the topic. That way it benefits the future would-be sabayon users as well :)

Good Luck

Ok,done that as well.Thanks again pal :D
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless