Easy Steps: how I got wireless working with Realtek 8187b

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Easy Steps: how I got wireless working with Realtek 8187b

Postby mythus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 0:27

Greetings,

Do you have a realtek 8187b wireless card and/or a Toshiba Satellite laptop? Having trouble getting wireless? Well here is a how to on how I got my wireless working.

Like many I am sure, I have spent much time reading through wiki's, searching forums, and desperately asking for help in the support chat room. However, after time, I finally figured it out, and now I want to share my process with you, hoping that it will help someone else out.

Please note that this is with a Realtek Wireless 8187B card. The Realtek Wireless 8187L is supposedly supported out of the box. Also please note that this is in Sabayon 3.5 lopp2 32 bit version. It may or may not work in other versions. One last thing to consider, this is on a Toshibia Satellite laptop. However this may also be the case with other laptops.

Now, onto the process...

Step 1: You need to sync your emerge list. Now I suggest going into root in your console from the get-go. Others may advise against this, but to me, this saves time. So go in your consol, type su to go root, and put in your password. Then do the following...

Code: Select all
emerge sync

Step 2: You need ndiswrapper. Sure there is some modified driver out there, but my experiences have shown me that using ndiswrapper is better. The modified driver doesn't always work, and sometimes can give you a poor signal.

emerge ndiswrapper

Step 3: You need to get the driver. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true

Go to that page. Make sure you are getting the driver for 8187 B. There are several divverent drivers for different cards on that page.

Step 4: Unzip the driver. Navigate into the WIN98 folder. Go to tools, and open terminal. Sure you could go into the terminal first then navigate to the folder in the terminal, but this I think is faster.

Step 5: Now it is time to load the driver. Make sure you are in root by typing su. Then type the following into the consol...
ndiswrapper -i net8187b.inf

Step 6: Make sure the driver is loaded and listed by typing the following into the consol...
ndiswrapper -l

Step 7: Type the following into consol...
ndiswrapper -a 0bda:8197 net8187b

Now what that does is forces your card to be recognized. Without it, the driver will be loaded but will say the card don't exists. Odd huh...

Step 8: Time to do some modprobing. Type this in consol...
modprobe ndiswrapper

Step 9: Now go to /etc/modules.autoload.d/ in your file system, and put the following into your kernel 2.6 (or 2.5) config file...
ndiswrapper

What that does is makes sure that ndiswrapper loads automatically and thus your driver loads automatically next time you turn on your computer.

Now you should be able to select your wireless network and enjoy your wireless internet!

Kudos and credit goes to...
The friendly guys in the support chatroom (they'd know me under angel.. my wife's id as I was working on her laptop)
gentoo wikis and the like
and the UBUNTU wiki which helped me realize why I could never get my laptop to realize why my wireless card wasn't being recognized, and gave me the steps that I had to gentoo-ize to get my wireless working. Might hate ubuntu, but at least they are good for one thing, that wiki.

Well I hope this helps someone. Take care, and have fun.
Last edited by mythus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 0:39, edited 1 time in total.
mythus
Baby Hen

Re: Easy Steps: how I got wireless working with Realtek 8187b

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 26, 2008 0:33

Can you please add this to the wiki?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby mythus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 0:39

Sure thing...

Edit:

I would, but I don't see a way to add an article , oddly enough.. maybe I am not looking at it right though.. Or could be my never having made wiki articles before...
Legends of Nor'Ova - Post appocalyptic steampunk-like forum and Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book site
mythus
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:05

Yea I am not a big wiki guru either but you simple need to do something like

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... Networking

it will say
There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page

You click on edit this page and than you can start making it - I can do it too if you don't feel comfortable
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby mythus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40

The action you have requested is limited to users in the group user.

LOL, I think if you don''t mind, I'll let you do it then. Since I am already hitting such stumbling blocks, I think I best not risk it lol.
Legends of Nor'Ova - Post appocalyptic steampunk-like forum and Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book site
mythus
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35

Here ya go:
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... Networking

You can edit it and what not if you need to

:D
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby mythus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 16:03

Looks good to me!

Well thanks!
mythus
Baby Hen

Postby farfnarf » Wed May 14, 2008 23:47

That method worked for me on my Toshiba A205 with the Realteck 8187b wireless card.

But the settings did not stick. When I shut down the machine and then later booted up, the wireless was not
recognized and I had to go through the entire process again.

I'm using the beta, of course, so I understand that things could get better in the final release. I just thought that
I should report my results.
farfnarf
Simple Hen

That method worked for me on my Toshiba A205 with the Realteck 8187b wireless card.

But the settings did not stick. When I shut down the machine and then later booted up, the wireless was not

I'm using the beta, of course, so I understand that things could get better in the final release. I just thought that
farfnarf
Simple Hen

farfnarf
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless