I see networks but cant connect to them

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

I see networks but cant connect to them

Postby daniel32708 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:31

Hello, i am a new linux and sabayon user. I have a laptop HP Pavilion dv9000 with a Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI. I installed sabayon and automatically recognized my wireless card, the blue light came up in my pc indicationg the card is on, and then I could see several networks. When i try to connect to any of them it starts connecting and then fails. However one time I turned on the laptop and it automatically connected to one of the networks and worked well.

I am an unexperienced linux user, I would appreciate all your help in order to fix this issue. I searched many ofthe posts and googled for a while but wasnt able to find anything.

Please help!
Dan
daniel32708
Baby Hen

Re: I see networks but cant connect to them

Postby vaettchen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:27

Hi daniel!

If you say "I could see several networks", what you mean is names (ESSIDs) of wireless networks, right?
Well, you should not be able to connect to them just like this, so that's OK. If it worked once, that specific network was probably not password protected.

You need to have your own WLAN or access (and access data) to a public or shared WLAN.

If you give some more details, maybe I can help...

Enjoy,
Rainer
vaettchen
Simple Hen

Re: I see networks but cant connect to them

Postby watson540 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 21:04

you have the same laptop and wireless card as me.

its all a trick man..yeah the blue light comes on and you can see networks..but..do you notice that they all have exactly the same percengtage of signal strength??

its a faulty driver, the built-in drivers (bcm43xx) or whatever, that come built into sabayons kernel still do not work for a broadcom 4311 rev 2 wireless card.

solution: use ndiswrapper

it's the only way man, its already installed in sabayon, all you need to do is find the proper windows driver and then install it via ndiswrapper

NOTE: I still have not tried the new "b43" drivers or wtf-ever they're called..they're supposed to work with our wireless card now but i still reccommend using ndiswrapper, cause it just...works
watson540
Simple Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless