Network Manager and WPA

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Network Manager and WPA

Postby Mr_Byte » Tue Mar 11, 2008 15:02

I've searched and could not find a post on this particular topic; if there is one, please point me to it.

I'm using 3.4, 64 bit on my Acer Aspire 5100. I am using an external (pcmcia) atheros card for WiFi, as the internal one is not supported (yet) by madwifi. I am using the stock network manager in Sabayon, and use Knetworkmanager to scan/connect. My WPA password is saved so I don't have to re-enter it.

I can connect fine with wifi, but only as long as it's open. When I am at home (I'm a truck driver) I have trouble connecting to my WPA enabled wifi.

My router is a Linksys, running HyperWRT+Thibor firmware. In Windows, there is no problem.

In Ubuntu, there is no problem.

In Sabayon, I have to connect 3 or 4 times. The first time I click on the Knetworkmanager icon in the bar, and go to my network, nothing happens.
the 2nd time, it'll go to 28% and die.
the third time, it'll connect, then immediately drop.
the 4th time, it'll connect and stay connected.

Any ideas at all would be helpful.

Jeff
Acer Aspire Flamethrower Lappy...
The 18-wheeled generator and I have parted ways...
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Re: Network Manager and WPA

Postby xlnagla » Wed Mar 12, 2008 0:29

My personal advice - wait 2 days. The (delayed) release of 3.5loop2 should occur then, and hopefully it'll fix whatever caused your problem. Otherwise, you're going to want to contact WarraWarra - tends to be an expert in these things.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby rand.a » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:33

TBH, NetworkManager sucks. You'd be better off learning how to configure networking manually. Try the gentoo handbook and gentoo wiki.
rand.a
Growing Hen

Postby Mr_Byte » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58

Actually, I ditched NetworkManager in favor of wpa_supplicant.

my problem now...unless I purge wireless-tools (iwconfig, et. al.), even though I have followed the directions for wpa-supplicant, and it's supposed to be the preferred whatever, net.ath0 start still attempts to use iwconfig, and gives me a "no passkey set" error, but with it gone, no problems.

I heard there was a problem with loop 1 and ati cards, or maybe more like, a problem with newest Xorg and ati drivers, if this is the case, then I'm sorta stuck.
Acer Aspire Flamethrower Lappy...
The 18-wheeled generator and I have parted ways...
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless