Wifi Internet worked in SL 1.1 Pro, not in 3.4F

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Wifi Internet worked in SL 1.1 Pro, not in 3.4F

Postby Kulluminatii » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17

Hello everyone, I have run into a strange problem. I previously had installed SL 1.1 Professional on my brother's pc as a temporary OS while I downloaded 3.4F. When I was installin 1.1, the light on my Belkin USB Adapter was on and it detected my network instantly. However, this is not the case w/ 3.4F, when installing 3.4F, I was only given the option of eth0 when I was preparing to install the OS, but I remember 1.1 Pro having eth0, along with wlan and others. Why did these other configurations not appear in 3.4f? From looking around a bit, I have figured out my Adapter is rt73, and when looking at this guide http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=RT73 for setting it up, step 2 does not work, and I am confused at step 5 on how to change directories. So, I am basically clueless on what to do, should I go back to 1.1 Professional? I don't understand how a "lesser" edition of SL was able to detect my network, yet 3.4f can't :|
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Re: Wifi Internet worked in SL 1.1 Pro, not in 3.4F

Postby wolfden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:14

what doesn't work in Step 2? You just have to extract it

Step 5 tells you exactly cd rt73*/Module

you're going to be in the directory of where u extracted the file too (I assume your home) and you should have a rt something folder, cd to that folder and to Module no different than if I wanted to go to the init.d folder cd /etc/init.d
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Kulluminatii » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58

alright, so I dont have to extract w/ the command line? Right now the tar file is on my desktop, so I should put it in my home then? Alright, well, I'll try and see what happens. The only thing Im confused about is the cd command thing and changing directories, but I'll read up and hopefully get it down. Thanks a lot for the help Wolfden, hopefully it works.
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Postby Kulluminatii » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15

When I tried Step 5, it gave me that "no such file or directory error". Anyways, my brother was getting impatient so I resorted to installing 1.1 Pro again. I still don't understand how eth0, and wlan options were available in the Networking portion of the 1.1 installation while in the 3.4F only eth0 was shown=\. Im hoping that I can update 1.1 to resemble 3.4F, but at least I have one working version of SL on the pc :wink:

Oh, something I forgot to mention earlier and thought was pointless, but it may be the reason for my problems. My brother's pc is 64 bit, the SL 1.1 Pro I downloaded was the 64 bit variant, but the 3.4F I downloaded was the 32 bit variant that I accidently downloaded. Would this be the reason why my network wasn't detected in 3.4 32 bit but was in 1.1 64 bit?
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09

no

learn linux commands - cd is not that difficult, if you can't grasp that, yikes......
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Kulluminatii » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:22

Well I kind of get the concept that you use cd to change directories, just using cd will take you into your home directory, but past that, I don't know much else. I guess I should spend some time looking over all the commands and becoming familiar with them, my brother was in a rush to get internet working so thats why I gave up so quickly with 3.4f. Once I understand the command line more fully, I'll try to tinker w/ 3.4f on my bro's pc again and see if I can get it to work.

Anyway, thanks for all your help Wolfden.
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless