Problem with wireless Atheros device

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with wireless Atheros device

Postby didkoddd » Wed Feb 13, 2008 0:39

Hello , I have just Installed Sabayon 3.4 Standart Edition on My Laptop Acer Aspire 5520 . I have a dual boot with Vista. I have a problem with my Sound (nvidia sound device) and with the wireless Device ... I tryed with Ndiswrapper , I have the correct Xp driver installed , Updated my GCC to latest version. My WLAN card is Atheros 5006eg , i have unloaded ath_pci and ath_hal but when i try to modprobe it .. Error Windows driver can not Initaliaze the device. My wireless card is working fine on my vista .. I think to try with madwifi -ng but never worked with madwifi ..... For my sound i tryed with alsaconf ..... but no luck.
didkoddd
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with wireless Atheros device

Postby phelan1988 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:15

I have the same card on an Acer Aspire 5100 and I had a lot of trouble with it when I was running ubuntu - used this http://quilombo.wordpress.com/2008/01/0 ... sy-gibbon/ to get it working. Maybe you can use the stuff here, the problem is that I don't know how to work ndiswrapper without ndisgtk (the graphical frontend), and I dont know how to get a package manager like synaptic running on sabayon so I can get ndisgtk and install the driver...
phelan1988
Baby Hen

Postby didkoddd » Sun Feb 17, 2008 16:27

Hopefuly u will read this ... i tryed it .. and its working .. i have a kernel gentoo 2.6.24 and its working .......... so as root "emerge ndiswrapper" this will install the latest version .. download this driver and go to the dir and after that "ndiswrapper -i xxxx.inf" after that "rmmod ath_pci && ath_hal" after that "modprobe ndiswrapper" and if there is no wireless interface in iwconfig check dmesg .... for errors for me works :PPP 10x
didkoddd
Baby Hen

Postby phelan1988 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 18:35

I don't need a filepath or anything for the .inf file? I tried that in a debian based KDE before and wound up getting an error message back
phelan1988
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless