How do i install wireless?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

How do i install wireless?

Postby ditchmagnet » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:15

i just installed sabayon on a dell E1705. it has a broadcom wireless card, but it wasnt discovered durning install and still has not been discovered. Everything else is working great (although it would be nice if the audio buttons on the front controlled the sound)

im really new to linux and dont know much.

thanks for the help
ditchmagnet
Young Hen

Re: How do i install wireless?

Postby chickpea » Fri Jan 25, 2008 19:21

try searching the wiki/forums, this has been answered MANY times.

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... th_Sabayon

:roll:
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Fri Jan 25, 2008 19:22

as for the multimedia keys on your dell

set up an xmodmap

see

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_Multimedia_Keys
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby lotek » Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:39

you need to install a ndiswrapper ndiswrapper.com :alien: sabayon 3.4 has the driver it picked mine up right away hope this helps :alien:
lotek
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Sat Jan 26, 2008 0:47

lotek wrote:you need to install a ndiswrapper ndiswrapper.com :alien: sabayon 3.4 has the driver it picked mine up right away hope this helps :alien:

This post is a little confusing. ndiswrapper is a linux wrapper for the windows driver. You will need the windows driver (for broadcom is bcmwl5.inf and the bcmwl5.sys) and use ndiswrapper to install those drivers. You generally need to download the driver from the appropriate vendor website (like dell or hp). I am not aware that SL comes with the windows driver already installed as this would be a license violation (I think, you can't or shouldn't redistribute windows drivers unless you bought a license to distribute them). The SL3.4e had the NATIVE linux softmac driver for the broadcom chip, which works for those whose broadcom chips are not "rev 2" chipsets. That's why it worked out of the box, NOT because it had ndiswrapper.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby ditchmagnet » Wed Feb 06, 2008 15:38

so i have been trying to get the wireless working, and i had reinstalled XP on this computer (still triple booting), but i realized that its not a broadcom, its a dell wireless (so it says) and the wired connection is the broadcom (which works fine)

here is the link to my service tag and the specific drivers for my laptop:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... id=&impid=

also, i am trying to figure out how to use ndsiwrapper...i am really new to this, and i cant figure out how to use it.

thanks for any help

[edit]
:
So i think it is the broadcom driver cause i took the drivers for it from XP and the inf is: bcmwl5.inf

so when i was trying to get ndsiwrapper to work, and i get to the point of ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf command, it says bash: ndiswrapper: command not found, so now i dont know what to do

[edit]

i opened up portato and searched for ndiswrapper, and it said it was installed, but it still is giving me the same error, im searching everywhere to try to fix this
any help is appreciated

[edit]
OK! so i finally got it working, just needed to put sudo before the command and now it works!
i have wireless WOOHOO!
ditchmagnet
Young Hen

Postby ditchmagnet » Thu Feb 07, 2008 15:42

ok, i had it working, restarted the computer, and now it doesnt work anymore.

i tried to reinstall the driver, but it shows as already installed, i just cant use it. what do i do? my green light is on, on my computer, so the card is active, and when i try to configure wireless, it says there is no device, but ndiswrapper, says it is installed

HELP!
ditchmagnet
Young Hen

Postby chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2008 20:53

do a
Code: Select all
sudo ndiswrapper -l

(that's a lowercase "L" not a 1)

if it says anything like "alternate driver foo" you are in for a treat. Try modprobe -r foo
if bash says, can't module in use by bar do modprobe -r bar keep doing that until you can modprobe -r foo. then modprobe -r ndiswrapper, and then modprobe ndiswrapper

your card may work thereafter.

BTW lsmod tells you which modules are loaded. It is very helpful for troubleshooting ndiswrapper problems.

The alternate driver will need to be blacklisted in
/etc/modules.d/blacklist
add in that file the lines
Code: Select all
blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist ssb

That may work. In my experience ssb will grab onto the wireless card and won't let go. See if that helps.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby ditchmagnet » Wed Feb 13, 2008 15:41

Thank you so much it is working great now- you are a genius!

i hope i can learn enough to use sabayon all the time. it already has so much so i dont think it will be too hard.

thanks again.
ditchmagnet
Young Hen

Postby ditchmagnet » Wed Feb 13, 2008 23:20

Ok,
sorry, one more question. i have to open konsol, type sudo modprobe ndiswrapper evertime i restart. i am trying to figure out how to put that into autostart, but i cant do it.

i was able to get kooldock, and my xmodmap to autostart, but what do i type for the WLAN?

thanks.

ok, never mind - i kept messing with it and got it to work using:

#!/bin/bash
konsole -e sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
konsole type total123 -e
killall konsole -e

it might be messy, i dont know much about this, but it is working perfect now.

again, thanks alot
ditchmagnet
Young Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless