Networking and Internet problem, no DNS [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Networking and Internet problem, no DNS [Solved]

Postby avoura » Thu Dec 27, 2007 0:47

I am using Sabayon which I installed a few months ago (on a different PC to this one I am typing this on). I also use Xandros on that PC and used that as my main OS for a while, until I had problems with 2 hard disks. I have now replaced those 2 with a new larger hard disk and started reinstalling everything. Sabayon was installed on a different hard disk inside the PC and so has remained as it was.
Now that these things have been put in I decided to check that I could boot into Sabayon still from the boot menu and reacquaint myself with the OS. I love the Beryl and Emerald theme effects and would like to use Sabayon more often.
But today, when booting into it, I am having problems with networking and accessing the Internet. At first the IP address on eth0 is set as a random one beginning 169. I have a router with DHCP and all PCs on the LAN get their IP address from that. So Sabayon should be getting something like 192.168.0.3. I used net-setup to restore the right settings and now the IP address is correct, but when trying to access anything from Firefox or Konqueror on the Internet I cannot get access, unless I type the IP address of the site (e.g. 64.233.161.104 for Google.com).
So there must be a problem with Sabayon not recognising the DNS IP addresses. Since I last used Sabayon I have changed my ISP, so the DNS IPs will be different, but that does not explain why Sabayon cannot just automatically pick up the right settings. I have recently installed Ubuntu and also when running the live CD it works flawlessly with the Internet without having to fiddle with settings of any kind. So why is Sabayon so dumb in this respect? Surely it should automatically set itself up for the network and Internet.
So, how can I correct this problem and have it so that every time I boot into Sabayon it gets an IP address from the router and allows me to surf the net using URLs instead of IP addresses only?
avoura
Baby Hen

Re: Networking and Internet problem, no DNS [solved]

Postby avoura » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:47

Okay, after reading around on other threads, I added the following line to resolv.conf (which was empty):

Code: Select all
namserver 192.168.0.1

Now Sabayon picks up the DNS correctly from the router.
avoura
Baby Hen

Re: Networking and Internet problem, no DNS [solved]

Postby m_x » Sat Mar 22, 2008 19:37

avoura wrote:Okay, after reading around on other threads, I added the following line to resolv.conf (which was empty):

Code: Select all
namserver 192.168.0.1

Now Sabayon picks up the DNS correctly from the router.

namserver or nameserver ?
m_x
Baby Hen

Re: Networking and Internet problem, no DNS

Postby rand.a » Thu Mar 27, 2008 23:12

its nameserver
rand.a
Growing Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless