HP dv6000z broadcom wireless card not showing up

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: HP dv6000z broadcom wireless card not showing up

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:16

It is actually quite simple and easy.

1 You need the windows 32bit or 64bit driver "something.inf" or the one I posted at the bottom of the sticky I mentioned can be downloaded as it should have both 32bit and 64bit in if not I will upload the 64bit driver as well.

2 You need to follow the ndiswrapper trick in the sticky / post I mentioned as you would need to in 95% of linux distro's.

3 Get both of them together in SL / Linux and follow the steps that you either printed out or the ones you saved to the windows partition and using the little house lef tbottom next to the start button once inside the desktop login thingy and select storage media , then select say the most likely one that would contain windows / ntfs / fat32 and click thru the folders until you reach your desktop or the place you saved the how-to copy off.

Should likely be under "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop" replacing "Administrator" with the user name you loginto in windows.

Same goes for the downloaded or windows driver for the broadcom card.

Next copy it over to your SL desktop and it should end up as text /home/somebody/Desktop/???? where ??? = name of folder containing driver or something.inf or bcmwl5.inf .

Next run the ndiswrapper stuff as in the post /sticky and checking if it is active = net-setup and it should list either broadcom or wlan0 or something sounding like broadcom / dell 1390 as 95% of bcm43xx cards is generic and can use the same driver.

If net-setup does not yet list it then something is wrong or needs to be done over again like the 3 to 5 time modprobe -r ndiswrapper and then load it again modprobe ndiswrapper doing this 5 times about and bam you ahve internet.

Or if using the 3.4e / 3.4f / 3.4 mini or any later versions just right click knetworkmanager next to time top right of the screen and select the wifi network you want , it connects and you have internet.

This methods work in both the live cd /dvd of any version or the installed version.

If concerned that you might stuff it up = no problem use the live cd /dvd and do it in there but first try knetworkmanager and then if not working load the driver with ndiswrapper and unload the modules " modprobe -r bcm43xx ; modprobe -r ieee80211softmac ; modprobe ieee80211 ; modprobe -r ieee80211_crypt"

If this is too much then download pclinuxos2007 it is rpm based and extremely easy to use + their hardware control panel type thingy again next to the start button and select wireless + show it where the bcmwl5.inf or windows driver is and it installs + connect and you have internet.

Easy as pie.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 02, 2008 17:42

Warra's post will probably freak you out more, although his post is extremely helpful. All you need are two files from the windows world. Ndiswrapper is a program that lets linux use the windows driver for your wireless card. So you need to find the windows driver, called bcmwl5.inf. Also, you will need the bcmlw5.sys file as well. Copy these files onto your linux system somehow, using a flash drive or something similar. If I were you I would copy these files into the directory:

/home/YOURUSER/wirelessdrivers/

where "YOURUSER" is your username that you created on install.

Then open the program "Konsole".

This is called the command line interface or CLI.

type su

root password
then

ndiswrapper -i /home/YOURUSER/wirelessdrivers/bcmwl5.inf

hit enter

then type

ndiswrapper -ma

Some other commands that will let you know what the hell is going on with your modules is

lsmod

"ls" meaning list "mod" meaning modules. See easy.

It will list all the currently loaded modules on your system that your system is using right now.

Don't see "ndiswrapper" listed? Type

modprobe ndiswrapper

then
lsmod

MAGIC! It appeared!

rmmod means remove module (guess what that does :mrgreen: )

your wireless still not working?

type

ndiswrapper -l (meaning hey ndiswrapper list what devices/drivers you are currently using)

if it says something like "alternate driver" you are not using the ndiswrapped driver, but the kernel driver.

you will then need to rmmod all the modules like mac80211 (which are the kernel modules that are interferring with ndiswrapper)

if you get the output like "can't remove module in use by "some other module name"

just rmmod "some other module name" (without the quotes obviously)
Now once you have gotten rid of all the kernel wireless drivers (I think the last one is mac80211_crypt) then you will want to
rmmod ndiswrapper

and then

modprobe ndiswrapper

then type

iwconfig

this will show if your wireless card is working. Try associating with a WAP if it is. (right click on knetworkmanager and click on your ESSID on the list. Presto!
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby rbnigh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:15

Thank you Warra and Chickpea. I have a much better understanding of what is required here. Nonetheless I have not been able to make it work.

I found bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys by running sp36152dot-exe from the HP site. I was able to drag them from my external HD to the su desktop. I was not able to then move those files into the driver directory I had prepared for them, nor have I been able to move them again from the external HD or the desktop to anywhere. When I first did ndiswrapper -i /path to driver/ the response was also that access to the file was denied.

However, when I tried to go through the whole thing again, ndiswrapper said that 'driver already installed'. But ndiswrapper -l gives the response 'bcmwl5 : invalid driver'

knetworkmanager continues to refuse to configure the connection and now doesn't even give the option to do so, just allowing me to 'disable wireless' and then 'enable wireless' with no discernible effect on anything.

I have tried this several times and with different variations you all have mentioned but all I have achieved so far is to have the system hang several times (the caps light starts blinking (?) and the keyboard and mouse freeze up, forcing a hard reboot.)

Can anyone think of anything else to try?
:?
rbnigh
Baby Hen

Postby rbnigh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 16:15

More questions

Could it be that bcmwl5 is not the right driver for my machine? (HP dv6422la with AMD 64 and 32 bit OS)

How can I uninstall ndiswrapper bcmwl5 so I can try reinstalling it?

Why does the system hang frequently when I try to run these commands?
rbnigh
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 03, 2008 17:09

hmm.

Well here's more linux tutorial for you

ndiswrapper --help
or

ndiswrapper -h

both will provide you all the options permissible under the command ndiswrapper and an explanation of what they perform. Incidentally, --help or -h are VERY common extensions and work for nearly every command in linux. So if you don't you what you are doing with a command or what it does --help usually will tell you. also typing "man ndiswrapper" will give you the manual page for ndiswrapper which gives you detailed info on how to use it.

ndiswrapper -r /path/to/driver.inf will remove the driver.

Hmm, how did you unpack the .zip file that you downloaded from the HP website? You need to unpack it first, before installing it via ndiswrapper. I don't know offhand if tar will unzip the file for you. Try using Ark the gui archiver to unzip (uncompress) the file. Ark may support winzip. If not (which as I recall may not) you will need to setup winzip with wine, or you will need to unzip it on a windows machine and copy the uncompressed files over to you linux box.

Does the system hang or lock when you issue ndiswrapper commands? Hang = system becomes unresponsive, but then resumes responsiveness after short interval Lock= system totally unresponsive and unrecoverable, requiring hard reset (holding down start button for 3 seconds, until power cuts, thus not shutting system down properly.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 03, 2008 17:15

Also, not sure but part of your headache may be the x86-64 system with 32 bit driver. Not sure though. I will upload to a post later tonight like 8 pm EST with a tarball of my windows driver folder that I have working. You may download it and see if it works for you (no guarantees however).

Also, post the output of

Code: Select all
lspci | grep "broadcom"

if that shows nothing, post the output of

Code: Select all
lspci

As I recall some of the windows drivers out there are a little buggy in ndiswrapper and it takes getting the right version. As I said, I will post my driver for you to try.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby rbnigh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 20:48

Thank you for your tutorial tips. I know it is a pain for someone who already knows it. But it is difficult to find specific answers to even the simplest questions (like, how do I find out what a command does?) by plowing through the mountains of beginners docs and fora. One finds answers practically by chance and, of course, trial and error. Very slow.

sp36152 is an exe so running that (in windows) makes it unpack itself into a directory called swsetup in which there are a bunch of files, among them the bcmwl5 files. I copied these from my external HD from within Sabayon Linux (by erasing and starting over I was able to get into the proper directory).

The system locks, rather than hangs. Thank you. It has done so after ndiswrapper and after rmmod. Modprobe -r seems to be a safer way to remove modules (??) Lock up seems to be random and unpredictable.

Sabayon i86-3.4 mini would not run on this machine, where as 86-64 seems to do (almost) everything just fine. Maybe I should try it again.

I will try you suggestions and thank you for providing the other drivers.
rbnigh
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 03, 2008 21:42

Not to worry. There are two things to resolving every problem:

1. What is the question
2. What is the answer

I found that when I began learning linux (~1 year ago) the hardest part was finding number one, what the hell is even the question that I need answered! :bom: Once you learn the questions, it is easier to find the right answers.

hmm from your post it seems like you might have been using a corrupted install, did you md5sum your install cd/dvd?

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... or_LiveDVD

I seem to recall experiencing hardlocks as well with ndiswrapper and the devicescape (mac80211) modules. Recompiling the kernel and removing these stopped this from occurring.

It seems to me like you also may be experiencing the rtc (real time clock) issue. On boot does boot up hang sometimes? I had to recompile my kernel and uninstall the Enhanced RTC Control option. You can check if this is the case by type Alt F1 at the bootsplash (and again when you hit the second bootsplash). To see when/where your system is hanging.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:14

here is the driver I use for a HP dv6408nr oops, I won't be able to post this file, even bzipped, it's too large. Sorry. I don't have a file server either. Well you can email me a bryanshort12 at gmail dot com and I will email it to you.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby rbnigh » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:35

All the commands seem to be doing what they are supposed to. I think bcmwl5 is the wrong driver or the copy I have is corrupt. Unfortunately the systems still locks unpredictably (disk md5sum ok).
rbnigh
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Networking and Wireless