Need help connecting wirelessly.

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Need help connecting wirelessly.

Postby MOCCOR » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:40

Today is my first day on linux. I successfully did a dual boot of XP +Linux first try :) but when I go on linux i can't do anything because i can't connect to internet. My wireless card is a RALink EW-7128g. Is this card compatible? If so do I need any drivers? After I put in password connection name ect it stops at 28%. I've read a little and seems like some people ave same problem unsolved. Thanks.
MOCCOR
Baby Hen

Re: Need help connecting wirelessly.

Postby ibendiben » Wed Oct 03, 2007 13:03

Try this:

quit knetworkmanager and choose not to automatically start it again at boot.
now run the following command as root:

net-setup

Go trough this wizard, it asks you to choose your device, it asks if it is a wireless device and so on, then fill in you ssid and encryption key when needed.
If your done type:

rc-update add net.eth1 default

My wireless device is eth1. If yours is different, say wlan0, just change the above line in net.wlan0 or whatever your wireless device is.
After restart of your computer... start your browser and see... hope your on. This worked for me. Success!
ibendiben
Baby Hen

Postby Raqua » Wed Oct 03, 2007 22:14

Check my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10770 if it is any help to you.
Raqua
Growing Hen

Postby Raqua » Wed Oct 03, 2007 22:22

Check my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10770 if it is any help to you.
Raqua
Growing Hen

Postby MOCCOR » Sat Oct 06, 2007 16:50

Do you have to buy SL to be able to connect to wireless? Or does the mini you can download let you connect?
I tried the net-setup and gives me an error. I think it said it wasn't a command. I'll try Raqua's way.
MOCCOR
Baby Hen

Postby cyrwyn » Sat Oct 06, 2007 21:43

No, you don't have to buy SL; it's in the mini edition. Linux distros don't do that. Were you trying to run net-setup from a user terminal? This command and many other system commands will not work unless you are logged into root or by running su and then entering the root password (it will appear that you are not entering anything), hit Enter.
cyrwyn
Young Hen

Postby sjeses » Sun Oct 07, 2007 18:13

ibendiben wrote:Try this:

quit knetworkmanager and choose not to automatically start it again at boot.
now run the following command as root:

net-setup

Go trough this wizard, it asks you to choose your device, it asks if it is a wireless device and so on, then fill in you ssid and encryption key when needed.
If your done type:

rc-update add net.eth1 default

My wireless device is eth1. If yours is different, say wlan0, just change the above line in net.wlan0 or whatever your wireless device is.
After restart of your computer... start your browser and see... hope your on. This worked for me. Success!

i followed your example, and as of now it works great. but i do want to know how to reconnect when my modem reboots or reception is bad
sjeses
Young Hen

Postby MOCCOR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:05

cyrwyn wrote:No, you don't have to buy SL; it's in the mini edition. Linux distros don't do that. Were you trying to run net-setup from a user terminal? This command and many other system commands will not work unless you are logged into root or by running su and then entering the root password (it will appear that you are not entering anything), hit Enter.

How do I log into root? I installed it onto a HD and made a new login.
MOCCOR
Baby Hen

Postby ibendiben » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:22

You can also open a console (search in the kde menu under system and open terminal program). Via session (menu bar) you can choose to open a new root shell. Now type your root password and you can edit your system/network settings.
ibendiben
Baby Hen

Postby ibendiben » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:29

sjeses wrote:i followed your example, and as of now it works great. but i do want to know how to reconnect when my modem reboots or reception is bad

Try one of these:

dhclient wlan0/eth1

ifconfig wlan0/eth1 up

iwlist wlan0/eth1 scan
ibendiben
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless