Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F PCI Wi-Fi Adapter Choice

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F PCI Wi-Fi Adapter Choice

Postby ScottAS » Sat Sep 29, 2007 23:31

All

I own a NETGEAR Wireless-G WG311V3 54Mbps PCI Wi-Fi Adapter, featuring a Marvell Semiconductor Inc. Chipset, which does not function out-of-the-box within Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F. I wish to replace the device due to the fact that I would not like to use NDISWrapper alongside a Microsoft Windows device driver in order to have the device function. I am also unable to upgrade the device Firmware due to the fact that I do not have a Microsoft Windows Operating System on my Hard Disk. I am considering replacing my NETGEAR Inc. device with a Linksys Corp. or Belkin Corp. device. I would be very appreciative to know of any device which functions out-of-the-box, if at all possible, from either Linksys Corp. or Belkin Corp. I am also researching devices which also function out-of-the-box within Novell Inc.-sponsored openSUSE GNU/Linux 10.2.

:)

Scott

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapter ... WG311.aspx - NETGEAR Inc. - NETGEAR Wireless-G WG311V3 54Mbps PCI Wi-Fi Adapter

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG311v3.asp - NETGEAR Inc. - NETGEAR Wiresless-G WG311V3 54Mbps PCI Wi-Fi Adapter Support
ScottAS
Young Hen

Re: Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F PCI Wi-Fi Adapter Choice

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:53

There is marvel drivers for it for linux likely but needs to be installed.

Linksys has 1 model that uses 4 different chips in it from broadcom to atheros / marvel to ?? so it is not easy to get one with specific driver if you are not sure about the version and most shops you have to try then return it to find out what chip is inside.

If you have some time uses portato and search for bcm43xx or atheros / ipw3945 / ipw2200 etc etc and you would find that 90% + of the drivers is still actually in beta even though it ends up working or 90% working here does not mean they are without bugs or out of testing stage.

This makes the whole linux thing even more difficult as the driver might be stable and labeled unstable dew to knetworkmanager or wpa suplicant or purple cows jumping over the moon that is needed to get this to work. I think there is from 5 to 8 things that is needed to be somewhat stable and working properly for the wifi card to connect and work propperly and any can have it's off day.

Another thing to think of is that say the bcm43xx chip in the wifi card is same or similar to the one in the router and there is pottential for some code or instruction to get passed over to the wifi router and this could cause unstable connections etc etc .

Once you considered all this and the lack or lack of willingness of some manufacturers of chips or products to maintain their firmware / drivers it ends up making a very difficult choice for a new wifi card linux native driver / firmware.

bcm43xx or bcm43xx fwcutter or somethign along this name uses the bcmwl5.sys from windows in the "linux firmware" so you might not completely get away from the microshaft os parts.

Something that could work is the atheros based cards same as the mac mini intel has atheros in their wifi cards as likely you would get a good driver / firmware for it in linux.
Think the atheros is less temperamental than the bcm43xx I use or the ipw3945 with weaker signal I have.

You might be able to stumble onto a page listing all the linux wifi cards + drivers and working or not posted next to it as this should help you to find a card.
Look for cards used by say dell as this should have minm. 10000+ cards installed in their devices and so will have working updated drivers in any os or in linux as a result of this volumes available.

Then at least you get a good working part / driver.

Hope all this warrawarra helps LOL.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby ScottAS » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:10

WarraWarra

I have decided to purchase an Edimax Technology EW-7128G PCI Wi-Fi Adapter in order to install it into my Desktop PC. I have also decided to purchase an Edimax Technology EW-7318UG USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter in order to act as a backup device should my former device fail to function within Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F. The Edimax Technology EW-7128G PCI Wi-Fi Adapter features a RaLink RT2561 Chipset; however I am unsure as to if the device will function out-of-the-box within the Operating System or not.

:?

Scott

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... &pl2_id=44 - EDIMAX Technology Co. Ltd. - Edimax Technology EW-7128G PCI Wi-Fi Adapter

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... &pl2_id=44 - EDIMAX Technology Co. Ltd. - Edimax Technology EW-7318UG USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter
ScottAS
Young Hen

Postby ScottAS » Sun Dec 16, 2007 0:13

All

Is it at all possible to access the KNetworkManager software application interface without the use of a mouse; I don't make use of a mouse alongside my Desktop PC and I'd very much like to discover as to whether or not my Edimax Technology EW-7318UG USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter is supported within the Operating System; however I can't access the software application interface.

It is possible to launch the software application via its KMenu entry however it creates another instance of the software application entirely as opposed to allowing access to it.

Does the KWiFiManager software application perform an identical function to that of the KNetworkManager software application, or is its role only to allow management of devices as opposed to allowing access to a Wireless Access Point?

:?

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless