installation problem:/

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

installation problem:/

Postby Dearth » Fri Aug 31, 2007 16:47

I have the latest release of Sabayon (3.4e) and DVD doees not want to boot... I've tried everything (changing many BIOS settings), but it simply does not work. DVD drive is not broken, I tried windows' CD and it boots properly.
What's interesting, Sabayon boots and works on my virtual machine in virtualbox... Can anyone tell me what can cause this? Maybe it's fault of my hardware - Pentium III 700 mhz, 640 MB SDRAM, DVD 8x Samsung?
Dearth
Baby Hen

Re: installation problem:/

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:10

Hi there and welcome here.
Once the live dvd shows the boot menu option press F5 and text will apear at the bottom.

Add
nokvm noacpi
to the text then press enter it might work.

If this fails there is a readme file on the live dvd that has these cheat codes to get it started. KVM is mostly from intel pentuim d 805 dual core onwards or later same with later amd's so the nokvm disables it.

There is a newby / new user guide here as well or the wiki on top of this page has very good info or even the search top right of page , if this fails this is gentoo based linux version so gentoo.org forum / wiki can help as well. You would just have to search for the specific motherboard model and gentoo or linux and try a few cheat codes to get it going.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Dearth » Sat Sep 01, 2007 15:50

That would be too easy... The problem is that boot menu does not even appear, like it was no DVD in the drive. I am sure for 100% that neither drive nor disc are broken.
Dearth
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:12

Okay then it could be the iso file is incomplete or the burning process messed the actual info on the dvd disk up . Weard that it works in virtualbox. Try booting from the dvd + virtualbox and not the iso image.
Sabayon might not like the pc / usb dvd combo ? sry but anything is possible.

Nero has caused a lot of bugs and is being fixed , also if downloaded by ftp , 2 iso files I have found recently was only 99% complete on different servers we are fixing this as well.
ie: if torrent azureus has a force recheck option and ftp programs some has a hash check = same thing as md5sum check. Might not be this at all but worth a test.

This is the only things I can think of as possibly causing a bug like that.
It could be something totally different.

Usb emulation has to be enabled on some pc's to help usb device to boot. You do not have a F12 or F8 option during bios load that can be pressed and then shows bootable devices then select the usb dvd and hopefully it would let the dvd spin up and load.

Do you have any other bootable dvd's you can try maybe something is blocking the dvd part of the usb dvd drive from booting or needs a special driver but allows bootable cd's to work.

Something silly I did once = put the iso file onto the dvd instead of using the iso and burning the iso contents to a dvd LOL :oops:

This is all I can think of for now.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Dearth » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:45

Thanks for all advices, but the thing is that I bought Sabayon in one of internet stores - I wanted to give Sabayon a try, but at the moment I live by my friends abroad and they do not have neither DVD nor CD recorder. So I do not think that it was wrongly downloaded or burned. Because I did not downloaded it, I do not have iso image so in virtualbox I booted Sabayon from DVD disc and it worked well. Thanks again for advices. I can do yet one thing - connect DVD drive to the second PC and try there.
Dearth
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**