desktop incompatibility? [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

desktop incompatibility? [Solved]

Postby SLiguykyle » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:38

hi all, i have recently been told about sabayon, and have downloaded both 3.4, and 3.4-64.... now here's where it gets interesting... i installed 64bit on my laptop perfectly fine, okay, but i put the dvd into my desktop, and i get the beginning menu, but whenever i click on something (anything) it starts to load, but nothing ever shows up.... no matter what... i know this isn't because my computer doesn't support 64 bit because i have the same problem with the 32 bit dvd... any advice on how to get the installer (txt or gui, doesn't matter i know how to do both) started??? (99.999% preffered 64 bit) here's my PC specs so you people might be able to help: CPU= AMD (AM2) 6000+X2 athlon, GPUs=(2) nVidia GeForce 7950GT (does sabayon support Sli? if so, let me know how to set it up if not automatic), mobo=Asus Crosshair 590 MCP SLi, HDDs=raptor 74gb and seagate 320GB, opty=Sony Optiaric DVD/CD, monitor=NEC MultiSync 90GX2..... that's all i ask... i just need to know how to 1)get installer started 2) make sure vista + XP can boot with sabayon (will find out in parition manager) and 3) run SLi (very important) thank you everyone who assists me in this complication

p.s. i have checked both dvds over and over, and tried everything i can think of... please help getting this installer to start lol
a sight to see, an event to be.
SLiguykyle
Young Hen

Re: desktop incompatibility????

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Aug 31, 2007 21:22

If it works on one pc / laptop then you might have to pass extra options at boot like "dodmraid" or "noacpi" check the cheat codes file on the dvd should be named "readme" .
Someone in another post mention using safe mode as this should load all options likely. If this does not work look at the default boot + F5 and remove something with "nokvm" or similar not sure what.

The motherboard might be full of ???? so check gentoo.org for the same model and or parts on the motherboard as they would likely list a cheat code that works or found a way around it.

Hopes something here helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby SLiguykyle » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:49

yep, got it installed... had to run the "noapic" cheat code... and that was kinda complicated since you put "noapci" and i couldn't find much info on THAT hahahha, but anyways, got it all figured out, all three OSes boot, only one thing.... HOW DO I START SLi??!?!??!?!?! please help
SLiguykyle
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:50

No idea , I have seen several persons using sli here or have had sli labels in their post you could try the advanced search top right of this page / wiki / gentoo forums / wiki as somewhere in all this there must be a answer .

I did a quick google search for "sli gentoo"
http://www.google.com/search?q=sli+gent ... =firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... tnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+s ... =firefox-a

Hope this helps best of luck , good to hear it is now working for you , nvidia control panel could maybe set it to sli .
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby SLiguykyle » Sat Sep 01, 2007 22:26

well, i didn't find it on any of those links, but i got it working... and for those of you out there who also want SLi, and don't know how (like me before this thread) here's the code :D :D :D :

in a root terminal type:

nvidia-xconfig -sli=on
SLiguykyle
Young Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**