Problems with installing Sabayon Core 3.4e x86_64 [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Problems with installing Sabayon Core 3.4e x86_64 [Solved]

Postby razor1394 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 22:17

I'm trying to get Sabayon Core loaded on my server but no matter what I try it won't work. I wan't it to be installed on an lvm spanning 7 drives on 3 different controllers. This has worked before and it works with Windows server 2008 so I can't see why it won't work now. Sometimes I get an error, sometimes the installer just dies and sometimes everything goes very slow because of the process euse using all cpu power. I've tried both text and graphical install and both crap out. I've tried manual partitioning and automatic.

Jesus f*ck. I can't copy the error log because It's all locked up. It says something about vgcreate unable to create logical volume.

edit: It can't be bad media because I just installed 3.4e on another computer with this disc.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Re: Problems with installing Sabayon Core 3.4e x86_64

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Aug 30, 2007 22:36

I have no clue about this but it might work not sure.
Isn't there a way to get the hardware to create a raid volume and then install into this hardware raid as it might be easier or so I have been told and or could be faster less cpu intensive in the future. This way it should only see 1 big partition and use it. Personally I stay as far as I could away from lvm as possible.

Heck 3 controllers make 1 virtual hd / raid per controller and then only need to join the 3 raid /virtual hd's together or something allong this lines maybe using lvm or software raid ? LOL I have no clue.
Any way of comparing the core with the normal install + similarities an or differences . Maybe one loads extra modules the other does not or a previous working version with 3.4e core ?

You might be able to use a previous version say 3.4a or one of the loops + update installer and then also have the core option on one of them + install if one of the older ones worked.

Sry for this redneck advice maybe something could get you into the right direction to get to a fix.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby razor1394 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:58

Yes, I'm looking at 8 channel hardware sata raid cards right now but I would really like to get it work without it. The controllers are from Via, SIS and nVidia (nForce) and are all fake raid from what I have gathered. Only difference now from last time I had Sabayon on the server is the new VIA controller, a new dual core cpu, 2 new 320GB drives and of course 3.4e.

I will try just installing on the raptor and leaving the other disks alone then create the lvm once the system has been installed.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby razor1394 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 17:58

Ok, now I have installed Sabayon core x86_64 3.4e on the raptor drive. After installation I created a volume group, a logical volume and then formatted the file system. Seems to work. Now I just need to find out how to share with nfs4, setup a local rsync mirror, setup a streaming solution and install torrentflux-b4rt. I've made all this in the past but too much use of Windows makes you retarded.
razor1394
Growing Hen

Postby CapnGimp » Fri Aug 31, 2007 18:30

razor1394 wrote: but too much use of Windows makes you retarded.

ROFL :cyclops: :alien:
Must be my problem too. I have tried for 13 days to just BURN dvd with 3.4e on it that works, NO LUCK!!
I finally ordered one from Canada a few days ago and waiting on it to fly here, first time EVER I can't burn an iso successfully. MAYBE come next week sometime, I'll be able to load this house full of computers with it. NOw I'm gonna take my broke aRse in here and play BF2 Reality MOd for the day.
Hope you master the evil gnomes.
CapnGimp
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**