upgrade SL 3.3 -> 3.4e fails

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

upgrade SL 3.3 -> 3.4e fails

Postby pajamabama » Sat Aug 25, 2007 22:09

Am I missing something with regards to the upgrade process? For some reason it has never worked for me. It always runs for a few hours and then just stops. Yesterday it got to the point where it was trying to upgrade gimp and never went any further. CPU usage goes to zero, and every drop of memory is full. The system (live dvd) is still responsive at that point but I just have to shut down and reload the partition image I have of my existing 3.3 system because the failed upgrade process left it totally hosed. The installer itself is even still responsive, in that it does refresh it's gui when asked to. I also had no luck upgrading from 3.26 -> 3.3 in the exact same manner.

I also tried the text based upgrade and came back later to see the upgrade had stopped (unfinished) and a massive spew of red text all over the screen and the word 'Bad' this or that in several places.

What am I not doing right? All I do is boot the dvd, load the installer, select 'Normal Upgrade', and go. I come back 2 or 3 hours later and it's just sitting there unfinished. I would really rather do the upgrade than a fresh install so that I don't have to reset all my settings, application options, etc. I don't mind waiting for it to finish, if it ever would.
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Re: upgrade SL 3.3 -> 3.4e fails

Postby flick » Sat Aug 25, 2007 23:07

Even a cursory search of the forums shows that the usual advice for upgrading Sabayon is : back up all user data, wipe disk, fresh install. Some users have had success with upgrading or with the sixth sense option, but that seems to be some kind of "oh hey look it actually worked" thing.

I came to Sabayon because of a forum post you made on linuxquestions. I still keep it on a separate partition, but have moved to Arch Linux 64-bit as my main OS for the reasons you described : wanting to not have to fresh install constantly. Arch is a true "rolling release" distro, I've been running it for a while now on my HP dv6000 laptop ( AMD Turion 64 dual-core with a Broadcom wireless card ) and it's been stable, faster to boot and to shut down, and it has both binary and source distribution built-in. Can't recommend it enough, if you want a "install once, then just update as you go" experience.

Sabayon is a great achievement : desktop Gentoo all ready to go. But updating/upgrading without just doing a fresh install is such a pain.
flick
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:04

flick wrote:Even a cursory search of the forums shows that the usual advice for upgrading Sabayon is : back up all user data, wipe disk, fresh install. Some users have had success with upgrading or with the sixth sense option, but that seems to be some kind of "oh hey look it actually worked" thing.

I came to Sabayon because of a forum post you made on linuxquestions. I still keep it on a separate partition, but have moved to Arch Linux 64-bit as my main OS for the reasons you described : wanting to not have to fresh install constantly. Arch is a true "rolling release" distro, I've been running it for a while now on my HP dv6000 laptop ( AMD Turion 64 dual-core with a Broadcom wireless card ) and it's been stable, faster to boot and to shut down, and it has both binary and source distribution built-in. Can't recommend it enough, if you want a "install once, then just update as you go" experience.

Sabayon is a great achievement : desktop Gentoo all ready to go. But updating/upgrading without just doing a fresh install is such a pain.

That is why gentoo has world update, you never have to reinstall

The upgrade is a hit and miss it seems like. I myself avoid it due to the length of time it takes and some of my machines are world updated so I never have to reinstall.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby pajamabama » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:50

wolfden wrote:That is why gentoo has world update, you never have to reinstall

Will world update, as described in the wiki, with the latest SL overlay get me up to 3.4e?
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:58

of course, actually it takes you beyond 3.4e as 3.4e packages are a few months old compared to portage
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby darkscot » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:40

I have used the upgrade option twice.
The first time was to go from 3.4 loop2 to 3.4a. That took about 45-50 minutes and appeared to work ok but then I had problems with Compiz. As I assumed it was because Compiz had replaced Beryl and I still had my Beryl settings I decided to do a complete re-install, which did sort the problem.
Yesterday I upgraded from 3.4a to 3.4e and again it took about 50 minutes. So far everything appears to be OK. My main grumble about this method is that it uninstalls all packages not on the DVD (e.g. Pan and EasyTag) and re-installs packages you have removed (e.g. KTorrent).
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**