Can it be installed on an USB Hard Disk?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Can it be installed on an USB Hard Disk?

Postby Julian1984 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:47

I've bought a 120 Gb USB Hard Disk, and i want to know if i can install The latest version of sabayon on this media.

Thank You!
Julian1984
Baby Hen

Re: Can it be installed on an USB Hard Disk?

Postby Psychosis » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:29

Well, I'm not sure, but if the Sabayon live DVD detects it, your'e set. I think theoretically, you can install any O/S on a USB hard drive so long as the installer detects the USB Hard Drive.

One word of warning:
Reading, (and especially writing) to the disk will be slow, due to USB limitatoins. Even using Firewire, I found Mandriva Linux to install horribly slowly.
So don' expect it to be perform at the Hard Drive's full capabilities.

Other than that, there's no logical reason why it would not work.
Last edited by Psychosis on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:49, edited 1 time in total.
Psychosis
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:08

Can your pc boot from a usb device or is there a seting in the bios for the boot order and list usb = then likely.
Sometimes pressing F8 or F12 when the dell or something screen shows before boot menu can also list the boot devices , if it shows usb after activating it in the bios = yes it will boot.

Installed to usb / esata devices and it being /dev/sda it writes the grub to MBR of usb device so windoze stayes normal if needed on /dev/sdb during this session.
I have booted plenty times from USB hd's / Esata hd's firewire hd's and should show up as /dev/sda as the usb / external device gets first priority on my laptop over the installed hd this way. Not sure how your motherboard will handle this. Inbuilt hd then ends up as /dev/sdb until the usb is removed or not booted from then internal gets to be /dev/sda again.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Julian1984 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 13:50

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, and it can boot from USB.

Later, i will download latest version, and test it...

Thanks
Julian1984
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**