Error Install On MacBook

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Error Install On MacBook

Postby SuperGoth » Fri Aug 24, 2007 20:40

When I try to install Sabayon on my newer macbook, Intel Core 2 Duo and 2gb of RAM 2.00 ghz i boot from the 3.4e DVD fine but when I try to install or use the livecd feature it just hangs at the "x" icon and the grainy background. let it boot all night with no success. But it did boot from my Toshiba Satelite. I have installed Sabayon on an older MacBook of mine. Any ideas on how to make it boot?
SuperGoth
Baby Hen

Re: Error Install On MacBook

Postby thai » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:15

I had the same problem with my MacMini yesterday. This is what brought me joy:
CTRL-ALT+F1, login, run top...
and I see that kbdrate is using 100+ CPU. (At some times when I tried numerous times to crash-out & restart X I have seen three instances of kbdrate running and combined they are using 199% CPU, hogging both CPUs completely. If you kill -9 the processes then kdm-greet will finish doing its thing and you can continue. At least it has worked for me (3 reboots so far, and I just fixed it so it won't happen again). I think that kbdrate is trying to access the BIOS somehow, which MacTel doesn't have. Just my first guess, I could be way off :)
I hope it helps.
Thai
thai
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:44

EFI is in 3.4a not sure about 3.4e .
You can also seeing it hangs at or about close to kde / x server and possibly the video driver not being too happy ??
Try booting with xdriver=ati or some of the other cheat codes , readme file on iso / live dvd or F1 to F5 at dvd boot menu.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby valerio92 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 16:23

I still have this problem ... on booting the system that I install in text mode it stops with the screan " when art meet inspiration". I go to the shell and looking at the processes efectively notice kbdrate . But there are no way to kill it. Better I can kill him but there are no way to goes on. please anyone can describe me the right procedure?
valerio92
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Sep 06, 2007 19:38

During the live dvd boot use up / down arrows to get the option you want and press F5 to show text then add "insmod=915resolution xdriver=i810" or both should be 915resolution not sure as this would load the intel 950 video driver and could help.
Also use bootcamp to make free space and then once in SL you can repartition the free space for linux use.

This could work.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby SuperGoth » Sat Sep 08, 2007 20:05

Well whenm I boot from the DVD I cant select F5 because my keyboard wont work unmtil it goes to the X icon with a grainy backgrounmd so i cant select anything. This is getting very frusturating... POleas ehelp!
SuperGoth
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Sep 08, 2007 21:03

If you can select the boot type then the key's might be in the wrong place for the f5 function same as having Uk keyboard layout on Us keyboard.

If no key's work at all then maybe if you have a usb keyboard it could work. More than this is outside what I know canhelp with.

I forgot once the x server starts you should be able to press ctrl+alt+backspace to restart the x server before it locks up or might just leave it for 3 mins and see if it goes past not sure what would work. Only have mac mini intel + usb keyboard here to play with.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby SuperGoth » Sun Sep 09, 2007 20:21

Well now I installed and it just hangs at the spinning icon with the sabayon background.
SuperGoth
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Sep 09, 2007 23:44

You can at boot or once in linux of any type go to the hd's and add " nox " to /boot/grub/brub.conf same as with cheat codes. This should get you into text mode start up and then you can fix the video driver or mess with /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
This hanging might be because of the compiz / glx bugs we have seen recently so to bypass this I booted the live dvd and when asked noglx , aiglx , glx -> select noglx and then I installed and all worked fine. This bug is beyond SL and comes likely from the glx / compiz developer not sure not a expert at all on this.
Try to look for a alternative way to fix this in the 3d desktop part of the forum if this does not work.

Example my 3.4f grub.conf + added nox for example :
Code: Select all
default=0
timeout=6
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Sabayon Linux x86 3.4-F
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.22-sabayon  dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00  quiet  init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 pci=nomsi resume2=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 nox
        initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.22-sabayon
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby adamonline45 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:27

thai wrote:I had the same problem with my MacMini yesterday. This is what brought me joy:
CTRL-ALT+F1, login, run top...
and I see that kbdrate is using 100+ CPU. (At some times when I tried numerous times to crash-out & restart X I have seen three instances of kbdrate running and combined they are using 199% CPU, hogging both CPUs completely. If you kill -9 the processes then kdm-greet will finish doing its thing and you can continue. At least it has worked for me (3 reboots so far, and I just fixed it so it won't happen again). I think that kbdrate is trying to access the BIOS somehow, which MacTel doesn't have. Just my first guess, I could be way off :)
I hope it helps.
Thai

How did you fix it so it doesn't happen any more? Thank you...

-Adam
adamonline45
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**