Error Install On MacBook

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Error Install On MacBook

Postby invariablyAFK » Thu Oct 18, 2007 20:54

Here are a few things I've discovered working with this.. (I'm using Sabayon 3.4f LIVE DVD)

My Hardware: Black 1st generation MacBook with 2ghz Intel Core Duo and 2GB of Ram

Keyboard Tips:

You can switch away from X windows at any time by pressing the follow buttons in this order:
<Control><Option><fn><F1>

You Can return to X Windows by pressing
<Control><Option><fn><F7>

This is a standard feature of linux, just for kicks.. try pressing different function keys (F1 through F12). Due to how the MacBooks treat the function keys you have to press the key combinations in the order above, or it may simply ignore your input.

KBDRATE

kbdrate is indeed failing during the bootup. You can get past this by pressing <Control><Option><fn><F1>
Run Top:
Code: Select all

Note the Process ID of kbdrate, it should be easy to locate near the top of the list displayed.
Press: <Control>< z >

Kill kbdrate, if the process id was 123456, then type:
kill -9 123456

Switch back to X, by pressing <Control><Option><fn><F7>

Things should now be happening.. and for me a dialog asking what type of video acceleration was presented. After selecting the second option, I noticed the GUI appears to be hung again. I switched back by pressing <Control><Option><fn><F1>, and ran top again. Low and behold kbdrate had returned with a vengence! So, I killed it again. The final desktop loaded, although I'm pretty sure some functions of KDE are not up to par.

I am a linux noob, so I have no idea how to fix the issue that is causing kbdrate to fail, I will research it and post if I find further details.

Alternate Option

You can also launch Gnome instead, but since the live cd expects you to run KDE you wont see any Compiz Fusion effects, nor will you have lots of shortcuts and obvious features to play with.

Switch to the console:
<Control><Option><fn><F1>
Edit /etc/conf.d/xdm
nano /etc/conf.d/xdm

Change the line with "kde" to "gdm"
Save the file by pressing <Control>< X > then < Y >
Restart X with:
/etc/init.d/xdm restart

You should be greeted with a Gnome desktop.

I anyone can shed some light on the kbdrate failure, I would be more than happy to listen.
invariablyAFK
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**