grub not loading [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

grub not loading [Solved]

Postby msh41 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:29

I'm new to Sabayon and am trying to install it on my machine that is already running Vista. I have 3 hard drives installed in my system. Vista is on the 40GB primary drive. I installed Sabayon on the 80GB second drive. The third drive is an 80GB that I use for storage and installing programs to keep the windows drive from filling up. I also have a 500GB external drive that the Sabayon installer picks up. I am using the Sabayon 3.4e liveDVD.

I successfully got Sabayon installed onto the blank 80GB HDD. My problem is that I can't get grub to start when I restart my computer. The 40GB HDD is set as my primary drive, and Windows confirms that it contains the MBR. However, when I tell grub to install on this drive and I restart my machine, Vista loads and grub is nowhere to be seen, even when I select Sabayon as the default option. I tried going back with the DVD and reconfiguring it several ways, including on the Linux drive, again on the Vista drive, and using both the /dev/ and /drive by uid options for both drives, but all have the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to use my shiny new Linux install.
Last edited by msh41 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48, edited 1 time in total.
msh41
Baby Hen

Re: grub not loading

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:21

I assume your first drive is a PATA?

Might want to try this great grub recovery disk
http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

See if that will write your new grub. It should auto find your existing grub.conf and than write it.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: grub not loading

Postby msh41 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:47

Thanks! That worked great! I am posting this from my new linux install
msh41
Baby Hen

Re: grub not loading (solved)

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:49

Add that disk to your collection of tools, good disk to have around
wolfden
Sharecropper