Inconsistent installs--doesn't always detect 3D hardware pro

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Inconsistent installs--doesn't always detect 3D hardware pro

Postby bastapaparatzi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 0:43

Hi All,

I've installed 3.4e three times now. I've done a full format each time. The first time everything installed properly, and I had full desktop effects (cube, water effects, etc) and good video playback. Then I trashed my system while playing with things, so I reinstalled (again with full format), but the desktop effects never returned, and video playback was lousy. I reinstalled after that, and video playback is fine, but there's still no desktop effects. I have no idea how to track down the source of this problem.

My hardware:
Dell Inspiron 9400
Intel T2500 2.0GHz
1 gig ram
ATI x1400 video card

Display claims to be using fglrx (3D support).

Beyond this, please tell me what you need. Sabayon was wonderful after my first install. I want that back.

BTW, in case this username has any kind of history behind it, I'm using it from Bugmenot. The register script hangs after I accept the user agreement on 2 computers, 2 OSs, and 3 different proxies. I have no idea why, but it's been like that for 2 days, so I'm using Bugmenot for now.
bastapaparatzi
Young Hen

Re: Inconsistent installs--doesn't always detect 3D hardware pro

Postby bastapaparatzi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 14:11

Replying to my own post with an update:

If I install from a running live environment (from the live DVD), I get full graphics support on a clean install. If I install by booting the install script from the DVD at bootup, I get no OpenGL, and of course no Compiz. I also get lousy video playback.

I reinstalled this way a few times, and it's definitely the problem I'm having. Installing from a running live environment works fine; installing from bootup doesn't recognize my graphics properly. I don't know why.
bastapaparatzi
Young Hen

Postby krcrouse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 17:42

Hi,

I believe I have the same problem.

I can get xgl to run from the live cd but installing from the menu doesn't allow xgl. I also can't install from the live cd gnome session because it force-mounts the hard drive between repartitioning the HD and requesting a format, so it errors out. Also can't update world on a fresh install because of module conflicts. Talk about a buggy installer! I have an ATI card too, but am running off an Athlon 64bit laptop.

K
krcrouse
Young Hen

Postby bastapaparatzi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 23:31

If you can't install from Gnome, have you tried installing from KDE or Fluxbox? I don't blame the installer; I think it has done quite a good job of configuring my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400), much of which was unsupported just a few months ago. The only things not working out of the box are things that can be made to work with a bit of tweaking--my Ricoh cardreader, Logitech Mediaplay mouse (works, but without full functionality), and my panel media keys (works with Keytouch). Everything else works perfectly with the workaround I mentioned.
bastapaparatzi
Young Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**