problem while upgrading sabayon

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

problem while upgrading sabayon

Postby paul555 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 15:50

Hi all i just installed sabayon 3.4e and everything is working fine and great.I read the update guide from the wiki created and using my own kernel and as cpuinfo tells me
Code: Select all
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1817.972
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 3636.88
clflush size    : 32

i changed my CFLAGS commenting in make.conf these lines
#CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs -mmmx -m32"
#LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"

and adding this
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Now i
emerge -e system
but some packages like portage-utils doesn't downloading because portage can't find in the mirros the version that 3.4e installed.It is ok to skip these packages?And it ok to update my system like this?
paul555
Baby Hen

Re: problem while upgrading sabayon

Postby flick » Wed Aug 22, 2007 17:08

If you know you don't need a certain package, you can just unmerge it. If you're doing a full system and world update, you'll certainly have some packages fail during the mass update. After the mass update is over, you can try emerging those failed packages manually, one by one. Sometimes Portage is really picky about the order in which things get emerged, and manual updating is sometimes necessary.
flick
Growing Hen

Postby paul555 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 22:15

Thanks for your reply.I skip the packages that was failing but while it is emerging libtool it get stuck the last 4 hours on configuring it and it doesn't seem to move on.Any idea why that it is happening?
paul555
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 22:32

I've been going through this same process myself as I am upgrading to the 3.4e version.

Wolfden has written a fine guide, but there are some problems that are still left for the user to work through.

3.4e is very new, but there are already some packages that are out of date, and the source code is not available in the portage tree for a rebuild of that specific version.

It sounds like you are doing what I did. Wolfden gives you the code for using a recursive 'emerge -e' that will skip the packages it can't find.
# emerge -e system || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done

Use his emerge -e, skipping the packages that aren't available. You will pick these up latter when you do your first 'emerge --sync' and follow that with a world update.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 22:36

Funny, your AMD 2200 has almost the same clock speed as my AMD 2600.

localhost ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1921.065
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts
bogomips        : 3843.52
clflush size    : 32
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Aug 22, 2007 23:43

I have found that the best way is to make sure the system and everything is updated to current parts and later emerge --sync , then retry to update and fix only the few that needs = ends up more stable not sure why but uses more internet downloads.

You can also run "emerge --regen" = same as emerge --sync just does not update the new file list or something , "dep -a" or "dep -w" know this works I have forgotten what it actually does , think it check the dependacy's and list them. Have to check the correct uses for this I gave before using.

revdep-rebuild or revdep-rebuild -X will fix any broken packages later if not fixed by any other steps.

libtool just use ctrl c and then "emerge -s libtool" to get the correct name , "emerge ???? " replacing the ???? with proper name and then run the emerge -e ....... done like above again to continue.

Might have to do this a few times with different errors.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby DontPanic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:53

WarraWarra wrote:I have found that the best way is to make sure the system and everything is updated to current parts and later emerge --sync , then retry to update and fix only the few that needs = ends up more stable not sure why but uses more internet downloads.

When you say "updated to current parts", do you mean updated to the latest release, or just rebuilt to you systems new make.conf?

If you update to the latest release, how do you do that without doing an 'emerge --sync'?
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**