Using Gentoo to Install a Sabayon Base

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Using Gentoo to Install a Sabayon Base

Postby hubmaster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10

Sabayon is a desktop-oriented Gentoo with great hardware support. Too bloated, you say? Geared towards desktop users, you say? Well, did you know that Fabio added a base "stage3+" gui-less install image to the latest 3.4 build of Sabayon, which is basically an enhanced vanilla Gentoo?

~ Daniel Robbins, the creator of Gentoo on his blog on 11th August, 2007.

This sounds like a fairly interesting project. I've installed Gentoo three times before, (and failed) so I wonder how I'd go about installing this and where I'd get the Sabayon image for the stage 3 install. I'd also like to hear the experiences from anybody that has tried this.
hubmaster
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:15

Download 3.4e, use the installer on the Desktop, make your choices
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby hubmaster » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:28

My bad, I was assuming that what Daniel Robbins meant was using the Gentoo Installer and a Stage 3 tarball Sabayon Image. I didn't know that the DVD gives you that option. :oops:
hubmaster
Baby Hen

Postby bernard604 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:58

Well I downloaded 3.4e and I still don't get how one can install Sabayon like one installs Gentoo.
I click on Install on Disk icon and I am greeted with

1)the welcome page (no option there)
2)next the language page
3)then keyboard configuration
4)then Desktop type ( I lke kde)
5)package selection
6)then services configuration
7)then partition manager

I never see an option for a non GUI option that I can manually install Sabayon.
I would like to do it that way so that I can install it on raid0 disks, the way I can install Gentoo , but only if I don't use the GUI installer.

Please show this blind person where it is.
bernard604
Baby Hen

Re: Using Gentoo to Install a Sabayon Base

Postby DontPanic » Sun Aug 19, 2007 18:11

After reading this thread, I can say that I did run across this option in the 3.4e installer process.

I'm pretty sure it was at the step where you pick your Desktop. You can also pick an option for no desktop.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Aug 19, 2007 18:15

Yea it should be called Core
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby bernard604 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 19:54

Ok so I also misunderstood what was meant by another way of installing Sabayon.

This method just installs a stripped down version of Sabayon. I am not sure why one would use Sabayon in a server environment. The great thing about Sabayoon is that you get a desktop with all of the configuratuions done and drivers installed.
I will admit that one also gets a lot of bloat, but I guess one persons bloat is an others required program.

In order to install this striped down Sabayon you still have to go through the GUI installer, which is great as long as you are not dealing with a raid environment.
bernard604
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Aug 19, 2007 21:25

Raid is another can of worms not ment for mere mortals LOL
I am sure once you know raid it is easy but that might be part of a future or maybe current install not sure here.
Server yup just another way to use a old pc or remote pc to do the work while doing something else on the main pc you installed SL too. or any other scenario.
The dvd is made as a general purpose cd /dvd to be able to be used by everyone and at this stage building something small like a live cd or a new dvd does take lots of time and effort + the team doing this is only a few guy's.
3.4 took 4 months.
So if you want small use DSL linux = 50mb and whatever it is based on not gentoo or use nice and SL or build your own from scratch and add the overlay / artwork.

The live cd of 3.4e is comming soon and should be small enough for you to use + basics it is just that most persons would have to install 90% of the live dvd 3.4e from the dvd or later via emerge and using the dvd you only have to uninstall say 10 prog's and 20 mins more install time instead of spending 5 hours updating + installing and possibly make a mistake = start over / reinstall.

Unfortunately KDE/gnome / games takes up a lot of space and most users can use this or it is easy enough to use for new users where gnome is a bit more confusing / standing on your head type gui ?? Not compatable with me at all = gnome , never will be.
KDE lite this could also work not sure about how / what but then if you want small again use the 3.4e + fluxBox + only the stuff you need no games / no office / no gnome etc etc that is why the installer is the way it is + you can still edit and remove packages / etc/make.conf to get a smaller system as this is part of gentoo based distro's and the reason why anyone wants gentoo based distro's is to have fun and customize it.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**