automatic updates?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

automatic updates?

Postby science lover » Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:57

Hey, I was just wondering if sabayon automatically updated itself or if I had to run an update program.

thanks
science lover
Baby Hen

Re: automatic updates?

Postby science lover » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:00

science lover wrote:Hey, I was just wondering if sabayon automatically updates itself or if I had to run an update program.

thanks
science lover
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:46

Sabayon-Linux doesn't really have a "Set-It and Forget-It" type of automatic update.

They are making progress at simplifying the update process, but at this time, you are probably best off with learning how to use emerge to update. You can use a graphical tool like portato, or use the command line method laid out by Wolfden in this Wiki entry:

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Unoffical_Guide_To_World_Update

An alternative way I've seen several people mention is to just wait for the next DVD release, and use the installer upgrade option.

Myself, I use Wolfden's method.
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby wadpro » Mon Aug 20, 2007 18:37

There is no an update manager and add/remove programs menu!!! This is too bad!!!!!!!! :cry:
wadpro
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Aug 20, 2007 19:21

Portato is your gui to package management

~x86 branch has new packages everyday, so it's pointless to have an auto update notification cause it is gonna be every day and besides that, you need to be world updated to do this.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**