Grub to Vista MBR??

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Grub to Vista MBR??

Postby Stupot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 0:58

The fix would be to install Vista's bootloader again and then to install grub in the boot sector of your Sabayon partition (or at least that's how I have it). I can boot to Vista's bootloader from grub and I can also boot back into grub from Vista's bootloader, so it doesn't really matter which one is installed first, as long as they are both there. I did research before attempting, which resulted in me getting lucky and I did it right from the start, so I couldn't tell you step by step how to fix it.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby jm1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:13

Akilan,
There's a good chance that GRUB is trying to boot Vista from the wrong partition. When GRUB loads, edit the command to say:
Code: Select all
rootnoverify (hd0,*)

where * is a number between 1 and the number of partitions you have on the drive. Once you find the right partition, you can edit your grub.conf file to reflect the this. (more experienced users, please correct me if I'm wrong... I don't 100% remember what I did :oops: )

After you have that solved, you'll want to use the Vista disk to repair the Vista bootloader or you will not be able to hibernate in vista! I attempted to repair the Vista bootloader and use it instead of GRUB, but never got it quite right. Don't know why and don't know how to get it back... but it doesn't matter right now. GRUB is working fine.

Let me know if that works.
jm1
Baby Hen

Postby bastapaparatzi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:58

Akilan,

the most probable cause, since you stated ur using SATA hd is:
rootnoverify (hd0,1)

so I would put in /boot/grub/menu.lst

rootnoverify (sd0,1)
bastapaparatzi
Young Hen