Grub to Vista MBR??

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Grub to Vista MBR??

Postby mdb888 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 0:46

I'm new to Linux and wanted to install Sabayon in a dual boot with Vista, 120g sata HD.
Should I install Grub to the Vista MBR, and will it let me boot to vista as well, or should I install Grub to the Sabayon boot partition ?
I've dual booted Ubuntu and XP and Grub worked well, but I understand the Vista boot loader is a different animal and didn't want to trash the Vista install.
Thanks for any help..
mdb888
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Jul 20, 2007 0:56

Not sure but I have seen that someone has written it to the actual linux parition and then edited the vista boot loader / menu to list this as well.

I know "Acronis disk director" or "Acronis Os Selector" can possibly do this as well just not sure how well it works with Vista.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby mdb888 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:15

WarraWarra wrote:Not sure but I have seen that someone has written it to the actual linux parition and then edited the vista boot loader / menu to list this as well.

I know "Acronis disk director" or "Acronis Os Selector" can possibly do this as well just not sure how well it works with Vista.

I've been looking at a program, EasyBCD that's supposed to add Linux to the boot loader but don't really know that much about it either.
Evidently, the latest Ubuntu 7.04 release works well with Vista, but I didn't know about Sabayon.
I really wanted to try it but need to keep Vista as well.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look at Acronis.
mdb888
Baby Hen

Dual booting Vista-Sabayon

Postby linuxstruck » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:40

mdb888,

It's just ok to write bootlader to Vista MBR (sda). It is the new NTFS filesystem (Vista) that is different with that of the NTFS that comes with XP.

It is the partitioning part that you have to be wary about. Whatever you do, DO NOT RESIZE VISTA PARTITION WITH GPARTED, QTPARTED, DISKDRAKE OR ANY OTHER LINUX DISK PARTITIONING SOFTWARE. You would easily hose your Vista installation this way.

You may however, safely shrink the Vista NTFS volume using its own disk manager. After you've resized your NTFS (Vista) partition to allow for linux partitions, you may then reboot and do your Sabayon installation.

SABAYON ROCKS!
linuxstruck
Young Hen

Re: Dual booting Vista-Sabayon

Postby mdb888 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 13:14

linuxstruck wrote:mdb888,

It's just ok to write bootlader to Vista MBR (sda). It is the new NTFS filesystem (Vista) that is different with that of the NTFS that comes with XP.

It is the partitioning part that you have to be wary about. Whatever you do, DO NOT RESIZE VISTA PARTITION WITH GPARTED, QTPARTED, DISKDRAKE OR ANY OTHER LINUX DISK PARTITIONING SOFTWARE. You would easily hose your Vista installation this way.

You may however, safely shrink the Vista NTFS volume using its own disk manager. After you've resized your NTFS (Vista) partition to allow for linux partitions, you may then reboot and do your Sabayon installation.

SABAYON ROCKS!

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I had heard about resizing the Vista partition. Seems like it's caused people alot of grief.
I just wasn't sure about the bootloader part of the install.
(Wife's got to have Vista)
I'll just give it a whirl.
mdb888
Baby Hen

Postby Skippy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 14:07

I bought a laptop with Vista on it and installed sabayon, no problem.

As you have been warned, use the Vista tools to resize your partition. This worked fine for me, and I've had no partition problems.

I installed sabayon just as normal, and installed GRUB with the default settings. No problems there either. Vista still "works" (if you consider Windows to work) and Linux/GRUB are happy.

Skippy
Skippy
Simple Hen

Postby mdb888 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 14:27

Skippy wrote:I bought a laptop with Vista on it and installed sabayon, no problem.

As you have been warned, use the Vista tools to resize your partition. This worked fine for me, and I've had no partition problems.

I installed sabayon just as normal, and installed GRUB with the default settings. No problems there either. Vista still "works" (if you consider Windows to work) and Linux/GRUB are happy.

Skippy

I guess a new release is due out soon isn't it ?
The live DVD works great so I'm going to give it a shot.
Thanks for the advise.
mdb888
Baby Hen

Re: Grub to Vista MBR??

Postby akilan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:47

Hello all,

I am having a nightmare of a time with this.

I got a new Dell Vostro 1500 running Vista home basic.

I resised the Vista partition from within windows to give me 31gb free space.

I installed Sabayon 3.4 using the live dvd from the initial menu ( not from within the Sabayon environment)

I used the auto option and allowed it to use the free space that i created (since dell already created 4 primary partitions - i deleted dell media direct as well)

so now it boots fine into sabayon via the grub ( i still have wifi and sound problems - but that is for another post)

the big issue is this - when i select other from grub (vista) it gives the following error:

{ Booting 'Other'

rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart }

Any advice? I don't care for vista particulary, but I still need it. i have ordered the OS install disk from dell but have not recieved it.

Thanks,

AA :?:

:?:
akilan
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 22:55

When you installed grub, did you overwrite the MBR or did you install it on the boot sector of your Sabayon partition? That's what I did and it works fine (although somewhat annoying that I have to go through two bootloaders when going to Vista or XP [I'm triple booting]).
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby akilan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 23:51

I don't know. I used the automatic install and selected use the free space.
how do i know?

is there a fix?

thanks,
aa
akilan
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**