I REALLY want to use this but have some problems

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

I REALLY want to use this but have some problems

Postby catinthebox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19

(miniEdition)
my computer is not good enough to run beryl effectively, so i jsut turn accelleration off, but i still want to use this linux, i have a number of problems,and every other thread does not give me enough info ( linux noob ), alright, to my problems

1. WLAN adapter doesnt register, and ive tried to use ndiswrapper, but without a step by step idea of what to do, it doesnt work, i tried the ndiswrapper readme or whatever was included, i tried to execute the commands and no go, im a noob at this linux stuff so its probably that

2. Getting root on this live cd, i have no idea how, and some stuff needs root, is there a default root password i overlooked whilst reading?

3. This one is more of a question, I have a 2 gHz processor, 256mb ram and an onboard 64mb graphics card, i know i need to upgrade, but how much should i upgrade, would bringing my ram up to 512-768 suffice?

4. It takes a hella long time to boot up after I enter on start SL3.3miniEd, way to boot it faster?

5. it tells me to choose a mode, and give me a screen res looking list, but its like "80x64" and many odd ones, it doesnt matter what i do it changes for liek 3 seconds and then goes back to a good resolution, im fine with it but why does it come up?

6. it doesnt mount my harddrive, and thats the most angering thing, how to i mount it?
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Re: I REALLY want to use this but have some problems

Postby eduardhc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:29

catinthebox wrote:(miniEdition)
my computer is not good enough to run beryl effectively, so i jsut turn accelleration off, but i still want to use this linux, i have a number of problems,and every other thread does not give me enough info ( linux noob ), alright, to my problems

1. WLAN adapter doesnt register, and ive tried to use ndiswrapper, but without a step by step idea of what to do, it doesnt work, i tried the ndiswrapper readme or whatever was included, i tried to execute the commands and no go, im a noob at this linux stuff so its probably that

2. Getting root on this live cd, i have no idea how, and some stuff needs root, is there a default root password i overlooked whilst reading?

3. This one is more of a question, I have a 2 gHz processor, 256mb ram and an onboard 64mb graphics card, i know i need to upgrade, but how much should i upgrade, would bringing my ram up to 512-768 suffice?

4. It takes a hella long time to boot up after I enter on start SL3.3miniEd, way to boot it faster?

5. it tells me to choose a mode, and give me a screen res looking list, but its like "80x64" and many odd ones, it doesnt matter what i do it changes for liek 3 seconds and then goes back to a good resolution, im fine with it but why does it come up?

6. it doesnt mount my harddrive, and thats the most angering thing, how to i mount it?

1.- Give us some more details about your wifi card, plase.
2.- Use "su" order to become root. Password is also "root" in LiveCD.
3.- I'd recommend 1GB, but 512 migt be enough.
4.- LiveCD is slow by definition. Once installed, it usually mine boots in aproximately 1:15 min (from cold start to desktop).
5.- where is it asking you this?
6.- again, ¿are you talking of LiveCD? LiveCD doesn't mount your disks automatically but they will appear under "Storage Medium" KDE folder. Just double-click on it and it should be mounted (how is it formatted, by the way? EXT3, FAT32, NTFS, ...?

Cheers
eduardhc
Technological Hen

Re: I REALLY want to use this but have some problems

Postby catinthebox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:55

eduardhc wrote:
catinthebox wrote:(miniEdition)

1.- Give us some more details about your wifi card, plase.
2.- Use "su" order to become root. Password is also "root" in LiveCD.
3.- I'd recommend 1GB, but 512 migt be enough.
4.- LiveCD is slow by definition. Once installed, it usually mine boots in aproximately 1:15 min (from cold start to desktop).
5.- where is it asking you this?
6.- again, ¿are you talking of LiveCD? LiveCD doesn't mount your disks automatically but they will appear under "Storage Medium" KDE folder. Just double-click on it and it should be mounted (how is it formatted, by the way? EXT3, FAT32, NTFS, ...?

Cheers

Also, i jsut burned a live cd of ubuntu, it looks shitty, i know full version ill custom it, also most people said the live cd of ubuntu even supports most adapters/cards, but it took like 30 minutes to load and lagged, without beryl or anything, knoppix is the only distro that has moutned my hd for me and done anything else ever worth doing, but i still wasnt connected to the net with it, on with the reply

1.belkin wireless USB network adapter, 11mbps (WLAN)
2. After goign trough 10 minutes of waiting for the terminal to come up, typed su, tried the pass as root, and it said failed, so no, the password is not root
3. thanks
4. i guess ill have to go full?
5. at the beggining after i choose start, and immediately when it starts loading, it says like 7 times with different parts on the end
"ERROR: cannot " - find or load i cant remember which - " /dev/sda/ ", and i figure that has something to do with the harddrive as knoppix doesnt fail all that shit
6. its NTFS, i want to be able to write to it if i have the full version, also, its not just slow, its like take 10 minutes to get to the LAGGY desktop
7. i want to know why anyone would choose linux if they had a choice of windows as an OS, im not talking free, costly, i have like no errors with my xp, at all, its practically fine, most linux look like a cheap 98 knock off with cartoon icons, besides the look, it seems slower, and also less compatible, compiles everything, not ready made, im a windows power user for a long time now, i dotn want to switch to linux for no reason, learn the whole OS and everything, just because its free, that seems stupid, Beryl is an advantage, but im paying for ram, so i might as well be paying for the use of linux, beryl looks cool, but has little to none practical use, sure its cool, but it doesnt do much more than spin and take up some ram, im still willing to switch to linux, but i need reasons
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:39

Root in terminal = "sudo passwd" and then change the root password to root.
Then you can use "su" and password = "root" when asked.

6. Next to the start menu button in kde same as windows start button there is a small house icon , click it and then storage medium , this will open up a folder and double click the hd / partition you want and read / write but it might be a bit slow if the boot options below is not properly working with your machine. 512mb ram is enough or at least for one of my laptops.

2. The slow speed might be something slowing it down that is loaded during boot.
Check readme file on iso or new burned cd as this list all option instead of suffering at boot time to figure it out.
Try nokvm for pre core duo cpu's and nofb ,( no frame buffer) might also want to remove the nomsi from the live cd /dvd boot option.
How =
Seeing boot menu use arrow key's to move to say no music option and press F5.
This will show some text ending with -- , add your options before this -- .

For screen resolution use res=1280x1024 or res=1024x768 and you could load a driver for video card with xdriver=nvidia or xdriver=ati

1. Belkin if you have windows drivers there should be a folder containing a something.inf file in the drivers folder.
Then load as root in terminal the driver by browsing to the folder usually /home/sabayonuser/Desktop/driver if you copied it over and "ndiswrapper -i something.inf"

Then load the ndiswrapper module with "modprobe ndiswrapper"

Next run either "net-setup" or using knetworkmanager next to time to connect or both.

Beryl has no use in my life so I leave it off. The no acceleration option before kde login menu.

If you can get parts form newegg.com they have kingston ddr2 800 pc6400 2gb for us$88.00 now if you can use this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820134488

Changing from 512mb to 768 is a waist of money as likely you have 2x 256mb chips now and buying some of the 2gb specials is much more worth it performance wise.

Changing from Windoze to linux is a choice or done because you are angry at windoze.
PC games and windoze = good option , no games or avg. games then linux will do or linux + cedega.

Sabayon / Gentoo is for someone wanting to learn linux and it is not the easiest way to get into linux.

Instead of ubuntu torture rather try pclinuxos.com as it works / looks nice and is a easier way to get into linux.
If you then still want to go hard core / gentoo / sabayon then using virtualbox or vmware on pclinux or even on windows and run sabayon inside it until you are more comfortable with gentoo linux type distro's.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby node_one » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09

5. I think I know what you are talking about (80x64). Before you start from the live CD press F5 (The one that says "Other Options" if not F5). When the text appears at the bottom, move the cursor back and erase "splash=silent,theme:sabayon" from the line. Press enter to boot and the mode message should not appear. There may be more to it, I just do not remember right now. This is a video card problem from what I understand. What is your video card?
node_one
Young Hen

Postby catinthebox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:23

you have helped mroe than i could have asked for, thanks
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby catinthebox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32

my vid card is an intel onboard 64mb one it gets me by
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 21:34

No problem
Any think to help , just shout might not always be the most correct or easiest way but it should get you going.

ps> vga=791 as well as res=1024x768 think both has to be there or even vga=791 res=1440x900
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby catinthebox » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:37

the house icon>storage media, did not yeild any results for a so promised mounted HD
also, there seems to be no drivers or file or anything that says driver in /home/<username>/desktop/drivers, there is no such place, i browsed there, i didnt type it in, also, righ tno im using PClinuxOS because sabayon wouldnt boot inside of virtualmachine, the point is, it didnt work, or is it jsut that im on PClinuxOS, also, want to point me to where my WLAN driver would be, i searched for all *inf's and that dint work out
catinthebox
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 22:12

There is no driver folder for windows drivers on linux as far as I know.

You need to get the cd /dvd with the drivers for the wifi card browse there and install.
OR
you have a folder on the windows hd that contains the windows drivers and copy it over.
OR
you downloaded the windows driver from the wifi card website and it extracts to a normal folder structure that contains a file looking like bcmwl5.inf or ipw3945.inf or something.inf .
Latest drivers only ends up as .exe file and has to be extracted in wiondows and the extracted folder then contains the *.inf file you want for ndiswrapper.

Then getting this driver / folder + driver over to your linux install and say it ends up on the desktop .

Once it is there then you can use the ndiswrapper technique.

Example: Not fact example only.
ie: as root in terminal "cd /home/yourname/Desktop/driver" this is how it ends up on my desktop.

once inside this folder containing the windows driver you can execute the "ndiswrapper --help" to list the options to the file.
Then "ndiswrapper -i elvispresley.inf" where elvispresley is replaced with the name of the windows driver mine would be "ndiswrapper - i bcmwl5.inf"

Then continue with the normal parts -m , -ma , -mi just to make the config permanent for ndisswrapper.

You can alternatively load the linux driver if there is a working one for your wifi card.
Example:
broadcom 43xx type card uses "modprobe bcm43xx"
intel 2200 type cards uses "modprobe ipw2200"
intel 3945 tyep cards uses "modprobe ipw3945"

And then configuring the wireless / lan conection using "net-setup" and selecting either wifi or lan that is listed there.
If it is not listed = driver not working for specific card or if using virtualbox / virtual machine then it should only show lan cat5e connection.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... art1_chap3
This is the how-to for a new system using gentoo / sabayon and has good explenations.

As for pclinux you might have to post questions on their website so they can help you with questions about it.
Sabayon / gentoo will be answered here.

Either way pclinux has a icon on the bottom bar close to start button that is for hardware config hard drake or something very nice and easy to use same as control panel in windows just not as nasty as control panel.

Virtualbox or vmware has good support on their websites and their how-to will make sure it is properly setup especially for network connections.

Example:
windows internet then connects to virtualbox / vmware and selecting NAT or bridged or any of the other options should get the connection established to the vmware ot virtualbox then you can get the network / internet to in the new linux / windows virtual install to connect to this.

Pclinux has a desktop home type icon that does the same click it then new open windows shows storage media and click it then shows drives and click it.

I forgot the other day you can pop the live cd /dvd in and use it as is and play with it then restart and your windows hd is still intact / safe and working.

3 install methods:
So install or live cd /dvd only or install and run in virtualbox / vmmware

AS far as I know we are only supposed to answer Sabayon / Gentoo questions here or related to using SL or Gentoo.

Also google for the problem you have say "wireless gentoo" or wireless linux" or similar should get you plenty answers even "netgear wireless linux" replacing netgear with the actual card / model you have "dell 1390 linux" or "dell 1390 gentoo" as example.

Hope thsi helps.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**