Sabayon Boot/Install Problems

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon Boot/Install Problems

Postby ChiZ_MacT » Wed May 30, 2007 15:16

Hey,

First time Sabayon user, (2nd time Linux user[Played with Ubuntu for a tiny bit])

After a little fiddle i got the iso onto a DVD and managed to get it working on my main desktop(booting it from the DVD), played a round a bit, decided i liked it and wanted to replace Ubuntu on my Half-laptop (Screen died, plug it into a monitor)

When it first boots up to the option screen (Run from CD, Graphical instal, text install, safe mode ETC) and i select any option, it runs through the Loading Kernel screen, then "Loading LiveCD environment - Press Alt+F1 for Verbose" comes up for a few seconds then i get a page of code/terminal screen with the last few lines reading as follows:

Attempting to mount media :/dev/sda
Attempting to mount media :/dev/sda1
Attempting to mount media :/dev/sda2
Attempting to mount media :/dev/sda5
No Bootable media found. Waiting for new device.
Mount: Couldn't unmount /newroot: invalid argument
Couldn't find CD to boot, something else is needed
Determining root device...
root block device is unspecified or not detected.
Please specify a device to boot or "Shell" for a shell :>

Eeep...

Any help would be great.

I've got the latest build of SL, Loop2 of the 32 bit version

The basic specs of the laptop (Don't have specifics at hand[old laptop, I can't remember])
Athlon 3400+ (ish)
512mb Ram
30gigHDD
ATI Raedon XGP (I think)

Previously running Ubuntu.

Also, did the site just screw up a second ago?
ChiZ_MacT
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12

WOW dejavu.

It can be the cd , or you can use the dvd form your desktop ?

It does not get the correct place the cd is mounted to so a possbile fix might be to passa option at boot time showing it where the cd is as it likely mounts it as /dev/sr0

Weard I thought the 3.4loop2b is DVD only not sure why it is looking for a cd or booting from a cd ?

When it first boots up to the option screen (Run from CD,
"Loading LiveCD environment

Typo ? cd ?
Might want to try the 3.3 mini cd version 600mb about and then just update or wait for the 3.4 mini cd shoul be out by 30 june mini cd version.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby darkscot » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:49

There were some bugs in the installer which have now been fixed. I don't know if that will sort your problem but it is worth a go.
Boot into the LiveCD, open a terminal and type in:
Code: Select all
sudo svn up /opt/anaconda

then press return and try installing again.
If that doesn't work you should report the bug on Bugzilla.
Remeber that 3.4 is still under development. We will have Loop 3 before we get the final version at the end of June.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby rr4kudos » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11

Here is my experience with 3.3b mini and 3.3 FULL.

I installed mini first. Flawless install in about 10 minutes. Then I installed FULL to another partition. Flawless again but took 55 minutes. I had to copy the entry from the first grub from the mini install to the second grub from the FULL install. Then I could boot to either at boot time.

BUT, I also copied the contents of the FULL DVD to another partition with the idea of booting to it via a new entry in the grub menu which I added myself.

I got a similar result as ChiZ_MacT. I will continue to try to do this and report any progress.

Has anyone been able to boot from a copy of the DVD on the HD or from an iso copied to the HD ?

I could do the latter nicely with RR4.

Hope this info is of some interest and would appreciate any comments :)
rr4kudos
Young Hen

Postby rr4kudos » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:58

I re-read the original post by ChiZ_MacT and now think that the problem is probably the dvd drive on the old laptop. I have experienced that CD and DVD drives have a limited lifetime. This is especially true for laptop varieties. They seem to weaken with age and eventually stop working. The DVD probably is being read nicely by the Desktop DVD, but not so well on the old laptop.
rr4kudos
Young Hen

Postby ralph666 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 13:23

Hi!
i've got the same problem during installation from 3.3 mini cd.
i've just upgraded the dvd burner of my laptop (from an old combo cd-rw dvd-rom to a new lg t20l dvd-ram), so i don't think the problem is in reading the cd..
is there any possibility to make it boot anyway?
thx to all
marco
ralph666
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:37

If you still have the iso iamge it can maybe fix the problem if you burn it again and then try it.

If the old drive was the problem then it might have caused the burned disc to be funky.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby fossiili » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:24

I have already had Sabayon Linux running, some earlyer version than 3.3. Now I tried to install 3.3 but the installation by Anaconda stopped. Unfortunately on the level when the log-files Anaconda writes, could not be reached. But I took a picture of the display and I include it as an attachment.

But even now some problem "The Extension ... not allowed" and no file attached :x

Is there some mail-address I could use to send the report?
Last edited by fossiili on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:33, edited 1 time in total.
fossiili
Simple Hen

Re: Sabayon Boot/Install Problems

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:32

ChiZ_MacT wrote:Hey,

First time Sabayon user, (2nd time Linux user[Played with Ubuntu for a tiny bit])

After a little fiddle i got the iso onto a DVD and managed to get it working on my main desktop(booting it from the DVD), played a round a bit, decided i liked it and wanted to replace Ubuntu on my Half-laptop (Screen died, plug it into a monitor)

When it first boots up to the option screen (Run from CD, Graphical instal, text install, safe mode ETC) and i select any option, it runs through the Loading Kernel screen, then "Loading LiveCD environment - Press Alt+F1 for Verbose" comes up for a few seconds then i get a page of code/terminal screen with the last few lines reading as follows:

No Bootable media found. Waiting for new device.
Mount: Couldn't unmount /newroot: invalid argument
Couldn't find CD to boot, something else is needed
Determining root device...
root block device is unspecified or not detected.
Please specify a device to boot or "Shell" for a shell :>

Eeep...

Any help would be great.

I've got the latest build of SL, Loop2 of the 32 bit version

The basic specs of the laptop (Don't have specifics at hand[old laptop, I can't remember])
Athlon 3400+ (ish)
512mb Ram
30gigHDD
ATI Raedon XGP (I think)

Previously running Ubuntu.

Also, did the site just screw up a second ago?

I ran into this same error with loop3a - it was my mouse :shock:

try removing usb devices
wolfden
Sharecropper

none

Postby ralph666 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:40

i'm sorry: i rewrited the installation disc twice on a cd-rw and i tryed also with a normal cd-r disk... it didn't work.
the mouse or others devices coudn't be because i had anything plugged in the usb ports.
i'll try again this evening, but i'm loosing to often.
cheers!
marco
ralph666
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**