Fresh install on existing partition [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Fresh install on existing partition [Solved]

Post by msdobrescu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:57

Hello,

After many years, I have decided to do a clean install, so I have downloaded the ISO, copied it on a stick, booted from it, deleted the existing partition, recreated it as ext4 on a standard MBR setup, already having Windows 10 on a second partition (I need it for Adobe tools).
Then, I've started the installation and I'm stuck at setting up the partition scheme. I would need to have one partition for all the installation (meaning boot and root and swap and home and var etc. on the same partition), but I can't figure out how to do it.
What are the right steps? It complains all the time I chose a custom partitioning where I try to define the existing partition (/dev/sda1) as root (/).
How should I proceed?

Thank you.
Last edited by msdobrescu on Fri Jun 29, 2018 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Re: Fresh install on existing partition

Post by msdobrescu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 21:54

After trying again and again, I have come to the conclusion it is impossible. The graphical install tool doesn't work like in the wiki anymore.
The text one won't start at all, remaining in a blinking prompt mode forever. Great!

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:03

I've honestly never had great luck with using the partition managers in the installers. I've always used GParted to delete create a partition to use and then use the installer create and install.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26

I have installed it years ago, when the live disc provided a visual way to even fix the boot. Now it's gone. The installer seems to be broken too. To be consistent, the live environment should crash too.
These days I have asked on some photography forums for Linux versions of several commercial products, among others. People say Linux is the future etc.. I seconded them. Sorry, I was wrong. Linux can't succeed if a non-geek and technical person can't put a disc or a stick in the slot and install it flawlessly, without knowing how to chroot, configure grub, setup a kernel etc..

I've created a boot partition that supposed to be the root and stuff, manually. It is MBR based (this PC doesn't have UEFI). I've booted the live KDE environment and started the installation with a parameter to install it to the partition I have created. It did, but did not boot.
I've chrooted, installed grub again, configured it, still no success. Grub fell back to the rescue mode. I've configured it again, now complains about plenty of .mod files missing.

I don't know what to do anymore. It is hopeless. Consider I have installed my laptop manually and I was able do made all the UEFI configuration from partitioning to copying manually the necessary files. But, this time, seems not to work, on this PC. This should be simpler.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:28

Stupot wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:03
I've honestly never had great luck with using the partition managers in the installers. I've always used GParted to delete create a partition to use and then use the installer create and install.
This is the way I do it also. It simply fails.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 18:14

I've found the issue. It's plain unintuitive. In order to install it to a standard partition (in Anaconda therms), if there is already one made and formatted (ext4 in my case), the user should select the partition and specify it is root ('/'), and MANDATORY check 'Reformat'. Why should I do that if i have already prepared the partition (formatted it and let it clean, or empty, however some needs to say it).

Well, I'm going through the process for the second time, as the installer crashed at the end, after cleaning the installation packages, claiming it can't unmount some partition... Did I forgot some mounted? Don't know, I have done too many tests.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 18:22

And sorry to be a little off-topic..
I've considered to move to Arch, but I have a faint heart, I can't leave my beloved distro.
Arch or Sabayon, might be the same in the end as I would have a Linux and its stuff around, regardless the name, but I enjoy too much the easiness of Sabayon (I have used it for 7 years on all my computers).
If you ask why Arch is appealing to me, is for the great wiki and the large package base.

Now, back to the installer... Why isn't there any text installer anymore? I use the KDE live ISO, it has the option in the menu, but it states there is no text installer if I choose that.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: Fresh install on existing partition [Solved]

Post by sabayonino » Fri Jun 29, 2018 18:42

There is a plannng to drop Anaconda installer and set Calamares as default installer

Xfce-Dev ,LXQT isos has Calamares as installer. It can perform an simple and quickly installation (Encripted partitions are supported).
I tested these ISOs on my VBox images and they work pretty well.

More tests are required (UEFI,no UEFI ,LVM ,simple partition schema ...)
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Fri Jun 29, 2018 19:03

I tested using the XFCE-Dev... The installer worked good without errors.....

however, i dont used UEFI, since my computers not have UEFI

i used "regular" ext4 partitions, without LVM. Before, i had tried with reiserfs root partition, but this not works. Error is type " not possible to unsquash system"....
No problem, since Reiser was an old file system.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Fri Jun 29, 2018 19:07

i have in mind that the Calamares is much easier to work for the Sabayon beginner.

However, when i experienced problems with the old Anaconda, these are because the incompatibility of the Brazilian Portuguese keymap.
when i installed in portuguese by using US keymap, no errors found.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE