No need for separate 500MB ext4 boot partition!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

No need for separate 500MB ext4 boot partition!

Post by linuxfluesterer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10

Hallo Anaconda maintainers.
I am a real fan of btrfs file system. But in Anaconda I get error messages, that "the boot partition can not be type of btrfs".
Definitely, I know from KDE-Neon, that it is no problem to install whole root (/) incl. /boot into a btrfs formatted partition. And ... oh wonder, no boot problems after install.
So, pls, simply try to let Sabayon Live installer create a Sabayon system into one btrfs partition with no separate ext4 (or else formatted) partition for /boot and don't interrupt installing process with the above mentioned error.

I myself installed SL into a separate ext4 /boot and a btrfs partition for /. Then I had to manually copy the ext4 boot content to a new created /boot directory on btrfs partition.
Next step was to delete or comment the entry for the /boot partition in /etc/fstab, created by Anaconda, so that /boot was now part of /, which is completely btrfs.
As all I remember, this is all I needed to do to make a bootable btrfs Sabayon on a btrfs partition only. Next boot, btrfs / partition was boot properly, ext4 was not mount, because deleted in /etc/fstab.
And, what is much more important: A new Kernel update (grub2-mkconfig) will write a new grub.cfg into btrfs /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

When all subvolumes like /, /home and /Data are of btrfs it is easy and benefitful to create snapshots, which are easily to recover in worst case of upgrade. But when /boot is in a separate ext4 partition, this data will be overwritten by a Kernel update also, which is not recoverable.
But /boot is easily recoverable when it is part of a btrfs partition.

Thank you for understanding.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: No need for separate 500MB ext4 boot partition!

Post by sabayonino » Tue Aug 15, 2017 14:44

KDE-Neon is ubuntu based distro

*buntu does't run Anaconda installer during installation.

/boot partition is needed (aka mandatory) for LVM partions and unpatched btrfs partitions

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: No need for separate 500MB ext4 boot partition!

Post by linuxfluesterer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 15:43

Hmmm, thank you for reply, Sabayonino.
I thought, that Anaconda is a Sabayon own made installer.
And I remember in first days, when I installed Sabayon in a btrfs partition (I assume, in 2014), I simply installed Sabayon in one partition I chose for / with the former installer (or was it already Anaconda?) And it booted properly.

On the other hand, what does it matter if *buntu, Gentoo, Sabayon? It is just the installer. And Linux file system and Linux boot procedure is not depending on a distro.

And my individual, my manual work with copying (ext4)/boot to a new /boot on my btrfs partition and a following deletion of the separate mount line of (ext4)/boot in /etc/fdisk proved (in my case) that it would work, just to install into one btrfs partition (of course with the matching subvolumes!).

Pls. consider: btrfs is not the same as LVM (you may call btrfs LVM for the poor ;) ).

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...