Problems with partitioning with installer

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Problems with partitioning with installer

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:31

Hallo guys.
In last days, my friend wanted to install Sabayon 64bit KDE, daily build from 22/09/2016. But he received errors, when he wanted to partition his SSD. There was already a Windows 7 partition existing on this SSD. This W7 was updated to Windows 10, so on this SSD no EFI, no security boot is necessary to start this Windows 10. Now he wanted to install a second OS, here the Sabayon 64bit KDE (Plasma) from a daily build. In short he failed, he also failed with the last stable build, the Sabayon 16.07 for the same reasons. He got errors with a missing EFI partition. Sorry, I don't have more details or I don't understand the concept of partitioning with the installer. In fact, I am confused with the partition part of the installer, yes.

In close future, I plan to install a new daily build onto a new SSD then. So, I would like to know, do I need a separate EFI partition on a hard disk, which I do intent to boot in legacy mode only? Or, in other words, is it still possible to install a Sabayon OS the 'old' way, where Windows 7 and Sabayon also did not need UEFI / Secure boot?
And, if I would need a separate EFI partition, is it necessary that the hard disk must be created as GPT?
For me, Linux, here Sabayon, is my priority choice. Any Windows I use is only installed in a VirtualBox. At this time I would rather prefer NOT to boot with EFI / Secure boot.
Thank you for joining.

-Linuxfluesterer
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Problems with partitioning with installer

Postby sabayonino » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:30

Hi linuxf.

I'm not able to reproduce this 'cause I've no Virus ...ehm... Windows installed anywhere :mrgreen:

If you have a free space for SL , try to install choosing manual-partitioning.

Autopartitioning will create a GPT and EFI support by default.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 13:00

Thanks, Sabayonino.
The point is, my friend already had a partition on a DOS partitioned SSD. Then he wanted to create manually a new home partition (/home 356 GB) on the first disk beside the existing Windows 10 partition and a separate system partition on the second disk (/root 40 GB) plus Swap on second also. Means, he decided to use partitioning manually in installer, not automatically. By the way, he also tried to partition before starting the installer. This ended up with the same problem.

If I would partition my hard disk now, I just would like to create a SWAP with 16 GBytes and a second big partition with around 220 GBytes and btrfs system. Will I get in trouble also? If my disk is already preformatted with DOS table, will I get in trouble while installing then?

-Linuxfluesterer
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby sabayonino » Thu Sep 29, 2016 18:45

consider to backup your data (or cloning your hard-drive) before to proceed

It's not hard to manual partitioning ... follow me ...

Running SL-KDE-DEV via QEmu
this is the scenario (supposing part-1 and part-2 are Windows partitions dedicated and MsDos partition table , not gpt)

Install SL on 35GB unallocated disk space with Btrfs (keep in mind ... btrfs need /boot partition)

Start anaconda installer and select Hard drive you like :mrgreen:

And choose "I will configure partitoning"

Select from combo partiotioning type ...

...like BTRFS (keep in mind , BTRFS manages partitions as Sub-Volumes) ....or Standard partitions

...all is ready to create your own partitons onto free space

Now you can create /boot partitions , 500Mb is good
add "+" new partition

Choose mountpoint /boot and size (500 M for Megabyte , 1 G for gigabyte ...)

(if you edit something , remember to "Update settings")

Do the same steps for / and /home and swap partitions (BTRFS manages partitions as Sub-Volume)

Leave blanc "Desire capacity" to use all remaining free space

All is done.Click to "done" to go on ...
..and "Accept changes"

...configure root password and user

all is done. SL is ready to reboot and start new installation.... with Windows MsDos parttion table :wink:

other options : encrypt and Grub
You can manage grub install and encrypt partition .

Good Luck !!! and backup your data !!! :mrgreen:

[edit] Other Test With MATE-ISO .Same approach

After install :

[edit 2 ] You can not install swap partition. You'll receive a warning for this but you can ignore this . Double click to "Done" and bye bye swap :mrgreen:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:04

Ciao Sabayonino.
Thank you very much for detailed instruction for using the installer. I think, this guide is a great help for beginners also, who will install their first Sabayon distribution.
At the moment, I'm still searching for some answers due to missing elements in Plasma, e.g. a Google calender connection and synchronisation with Korganizer, which I can not set up yet. This is essential for me.
But I will keep your guide in mind, as I hope to install a new, acceptable Plasma on a new hard disk before end of this year 2016.

As I said, thank you very much.

-Linuxfluesterer
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:37

linuxfluesterer wrote:At the moment, I'm still searching for some answers due to missing elements in Plasma, e.g. a Google calender connection and synchronisation with Korganizer, which I can not set up yet. This is essential for me.

-Linuxfluesterer

not sure but you can try this kde-wiki : https://userbase.kde.org/Working_with_Google_Calendar
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:57

Because Google Calendar in Korganizer is another topic, I have opened a new thread here some days before:
https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=33393&p=178335&hilit=Korganizer#p178335

There was already a reply by Fitz. I will continue there.

-Linuxfluesterer
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**