Calamares no LUKS?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Calamares no LUKS?

Postby BoeroBoy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 13:18

After a lot of tinkering I've decided to do a fresh Sabayon install on one of my laptops. I see a lot of bugs are fixed in latest Calamares with 15.11. However one thing I notice is there's no classical Anaconda option to install with root LUKS encrypted.. That's kind of a show stopper for me on this laptop. Must I really build my own partitions with LUKS and then manually install with a chroot? I may as well go back to Gentoo and do a stage1 at that rate. Kind of frustrating.

Anyone else experience with LUKS and feature-crippled new-fangled calamares?
Thanks
BoeroBoy
Simple Hen

Re: Calamares no LUKS?

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:50

Doesn't seem like it does yet according to - https://calamares.io/bugs/browse/CAL-256

I noticed calamares doesn't format btrfs partitions either, but you can install it to premade btrfs partitions.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Freier Radikaler » Mon Nov 30, 2015 23:35

I can't still understand why Sabayon has switched to this crappy installer. No encryption? You are kidding me! :evil: :evil: :evil:

With every new release I get more anger with Sabayon. This was such a nice distribution shortly before systemd was introduced. Then they started to mess it up by

[*]releasing unstable kde5
[*]mess up the installer
[*]Using sddm which crashed on all my ati laptops
[*]segfaults in libqt5
[*]freezing screen
[*]Network Manger usability GAU
[*]wrong lib links in binaries -> segfault

Is there a way to get encrypton? I would be determined to do this manually as well...
Freier Radikaler
Young Hen

Postby svantoviit » Tue Dec 01, 2015 19:29

Freier Radikaler wrote:Is there a way to get encrypton? I would be determined to do this manually as well...

You can get some inspiration in the Arch Wiki: dm-crypt/Encrypting an entire system.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Freier Radikaler » Thu Dec 03, 2015 15:16

This wasn't my intention. I already did full disc encryption using gentoo with my own initramdisc and stuff but I was interested in how Sabayon is doing it. So that I don't get problems if an update comes around...

There must be an easy way as my other Sabayon boy that I upgraded to the current version still has full disc encryption. In the past there was the possibility to use full disc encryption by the installer...
Freier Radikaler
Young Hen

Postby svantoviit » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:59

Freier Radikaler wrote:In the past there was the possibility to use full disc encryption by the installer...

You will need an ISO prior to 15.10.
The Argentinian mirror has not been updated for a while, so you can still find 15.02.1 there: http://mirrors.coopvgg.com.ar/sabayon/iso/monthly/.
If you manage to install it, the update will be a hustle, but you can try...
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Freier Radikaler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 13:21

Unfortunately this version has a bug related to the X-server. So I'm not able to install anything as X won't come up. Which ISO was the last one with the installer before calamares?
Freier Radikaler
Young Hen

Postby sabayonino » Mon Dec 07, 2015 13:57

Freier Radikaler wrote:Unfortunately this version has a bug related to the X-server. So I'm not able to install anything as X won't come up. Which ISO was the last one with the installer before calamares?

please provide more info and file a bug

or wait new daily isos
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby svantoviit » Tue Dec 08, 2015 13:36

Freier Radikaler wrote:Which ISO was the last one with the installer before calamares?

15.09 I suppose.

@sabayonino: A working ISO with Anaconda installer is wanted ;) No need to fill bugs for outdated releases as 15.02.1.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby sabayonino » Tue Dec 08, 2015 19:01

svantoviit wrote:
Freier Radikaler wrote:Which ISO was the last one with the installer before calamares?

15.09 I suppose.

@sabayonino: A working ISO with Anaconda installer is wanted ;) No need to fill bugs for outdated releases as 15.02.1.

I wrote for this :
Unfortunately this version has a bug related to the X-server
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**