MacBook Pro NVIDIA GPU ignored by driver on install attempt

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

chardo137
Baby Hen

MacBook Pro NVIDIA GPU ignored by driver on install attempt

Post by chardo137 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 16:37

Late 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.53 Ghz Intel Core I5, 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 330M GPU. I have successfully partitioned my disc after a new install of Mavericks (OS X 10.9.5). rEFInd is installed. When I try to boot the Sabayon.iso I get a message saying: The NVIDIA GeForce GT330M GPU installed in this system is supported through the NVIDIA 340.xx Legacy Drivers. The 352.09 NVIDIA driver will ignore this GPU. The message repeats at a furious rate and will not do anything else. I went to their website and downloaded the suggested 340.93 driver. Is this the correct one? How do I get it loaded into the installer when I can't even get the installer to boot? Advanced options console mode also gives the same behavior. I have really been loving Sabayon and I want to load it onto my Mac. I have read that Sabayon may be the best distro for a Mac, and I would like to confirm that opinion.

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: MacBook Pro NVIDIA GPU ignored by driver on install atte

Post by joost » Tue Oct 06, 2015 18:36

If I recall correctly you could try to pass this to the boot line: modprobe.blacklist=nvidia
This should avoid the nvidia module to be loaded and fallback to the X11 vesa driver or something. This way you could at least install Sabayon. Then after installation you could do the same trick to disable that nvidia module. Then you can install the correct driver version and mask the conflicting driver version.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

chardo137
Baby Hen

Post by chardo137 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:02

Thanks, that stopped the runaway error at about the 40 second mark, but the installer still won't load. I get a command prompt. Startx gives me: giving up unable to connect to X server: connection refused server error I am running out of ideas here. Any suggestions welcome! My brain hurts!

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58

Maybe we can try to also pass a parameter that forces to use a certain xorg driver?

Code: Select all

modprobe.blacklist=nvidia xdriver=nv
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

chardo137
Baby Hen

Post by chardo137 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:35

No go, but thanks for the help. I did a bunch of research and found out that there are others having problems with this particular GPU. It seems to be the mid and late 2010 MacBooks with this GPU that have the worst problems. One guy said that he couldn't get Sabayon to load at all from a USB, but as soon as he switched to DVD things got much better. Since my optical drive has been non-operational for some time, that is really not an option for me. I decided to try some other distros, and Sabayon gets farther than most. Arch based distros fail within the first millisecond. I actually had openSUSE installed at one point, but the trackpad had some real issues and I moved on. I have tried openSUSE before, and I always run into little aggravating issues that make me leave. The last time I tried openSUSE on my desktop, the scrollwheel on my mouse would not work. I do have a magic mouse somewhere that might make life easier under openSUSE, although support for them under Linux is probably not the best either. Any ideas will be tried. Getting this done may be a bit beyond my ability level, but that is how we learn. From what I have read, the latest versions of OS X have put even more hurdles in the way of Linux installation, so I am probably better of sticking with Mavericks, even though I could upgrade for free. Am I correct in that belief?