Monthly Sab: Error when boot from new XFS installation

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Monthly Sab: Error when boot from new XFS installation

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:26

Hallo guys.
Today, I have pulled the latest monthly KDE version of Sabayon (not dev): Sabayon_Linux_15.09_amd64_KDE.iso. I had luck to receive a second notebook for a while, so I wanted to install this KDE version on my second notebook then with Core i7, 12 Gigs of Ram, 60 GByte install partition. I created a working USB-memory stick with dd and after booting with the prepared stick, I received the well known Plasma 4(.14.10) desktop.
It was very easy to use Anaconda so that installation was done quickly. I prefer XFS, so I chosed XFS as file system on my installation partition, including format by Anaconda. So far, so good.
Then, I was ordered to reboot (which was NOT excecuted by the live system, btw.), and to my surprise, after this reboot I received the following screen:
I hardly guess, there is a big trouble or else especially when formatting with XFS, because some days ago, I installed a Sabayon on an EXT4 partition for my sister. There was no problem with booting the new OS.
Maybe, I can use an older Sabayon or another LiveDistro and preformat my partition with XFS but I think, it should work with Anaconda also. So, I told you my experiences, I had today.

Thank you for your interest.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Monthly Sab: Error when boot from new XFS installation

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:27

Ran into the same problem. I had the installer "auto partition" the hard drive (ssd in my case), then went back and re-ran the installer but used manual partitioning, only changing format (xfs) of the root partition, and deleted others to get the install done. Works if you have more than one disk and your home directory is on another disk. Having attempted to run Sabayon on EXT4, using a samsung 850 pro SSD, EXT4 was very very notably slower than XFS. It is worth the extra effort to use xfs, as it just works, and behaves like a mature and speedy filesystem. Good luck!!
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Re: Monthly Sab: Error when boot from new XFS installation

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 18:44

Thank you for confirming my problem. As I said here:
linuxfluesterer wrote:Maybe, I can use an older Sabayon or another LiveDistro and preformat my partition with XFS but I think, it should work with Anaconda also. So, I told you my experiences, I had today.

I have only one disk in my notebook, so I really formatted my root partition with XFS from an older LifeDistro before installing a new Sabayon without reformatting by Anaconda. But I fear there are other problems with XFS as I have experienced I could NOT change the UUID with xfs_admin. I got an error, something about 'only readable' (I don't remember). And if this is a Kernel modul problem, it might be possible, that in between this problem was solved. I'll have to try out this, when the time has come.

Again, thank you for your interest.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**