Calamares failing with KDE edition, on VirtualBox

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Calamares failing with KDE edition, on VirtualBox

Postby fusion809 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:08

Hi,

I've downloaded the DAILY ISO of Sabayon (from 26 August 2015) for both KDE and GNOME flavours. The KDE flavour fails, as far as its installer (Calamares), has some graphics issues (at the "Install" stage) to the extent that it becomes invisible (the window outline still appears, but within the Calamares window it's just black screen). I have tried running Calamares as root from Konsole (i.e., by running
Code: Select all
su
to get into root and then running calamares) and it too experienced the same error. The GNOME flavour manages to install without issue, however. So I suspect it's something to do with Calamares not playing nice with Qt4 (the basis of the KDE Plasma 4 desktop environment). My version of VirtualBox is 5.0.2 and my host machine is 64-bit Windows 8.1.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
Brenton Horne
Favourite distros: Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE, Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu.
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
My Blog on Sabayon | Google+
fusion809
Growing Hen

Re: Calamares failing with KDE edition, on VirtualBox

Postby joost » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06

Just yesterday I tested the exact same version in Virtualbox and did not run into any problems. Only diff would be that I was running vbox on Sabayon Linux.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby fusion809 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27

Weird... Well is there anything I can do to help developers figure out what went wrong on my machine?
Brenton Horne
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
fusion809
Growing Hen

Postby deusdara » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:36

Hi

Calamares dont install on pt-BR language anymore.

MONTHLY ISO of Sabayon (from 29 August 2015) for GNOME flavour.
[Mobo: Asus B85M-E/BR ][CPU: Intel Core i7 [email protected] GHz][RAM2x4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Kingston][GPU: nVidia GTX 570][HD:Seagate 1,0 TB SATA II][Fonte: Corsair 500w - CMPSU-500CXV2 ][Sabayon Gnome]
deusdara
Baby Hen

Postby fusion809 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:45

@joost I have experienced the same error with MATE 15.11 here's the bug report https://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5060 .
Brenton Horne
fusion809
Growing Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02

KDE requires direct rendering, something vbox doesn't offer until guest additions are installed. Perhaps that's the source of graphical discontent? It's the reason why KDE looks like garbage over VNC, that's my direct experience with it.
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**