Install bootloader to /(root) partition?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

3rdwheel
Baby Hen

Install bootloader to /(root) partition?

Post by 3rdwheel » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31

Long story short... I'm trying to migrate from linuxmint to sabayon for the simple fact that I wanted a gentoo system. In linuxmint I was able to install the bootloader to the /(root) partition which worked out fine because it didn't interfere with booting my other two installed systems(Mac, Windows). When I tried to install Sabayon the first time, if I didn't want to install to the MBR then it would ONLY install the bootloader on a separately created /boot(efi) partition and NOW I had TWO efi boot partitions(First one created by Mac). What followed was a disaster!... it made the Windows system un-bootable and on top of that it would reboot straight into Sabayon(Grub menu was present with Mac option, but that didn't work). BOTTOM-LINE... Linux is linux(of course with variations per distro) and they ALL have pretty much the SAME /(root) folder makeup.... so why is it that Sabayon NOT allow you to install the bootlader to the /(root) folder? Am I missing something here between a Ubuntu vs. Gentoo installation?

Thanks, for any feedback...