squash and nvidia and installer problems

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

dkuchay
Baby Hen

squash and nvidia and installer problems

Post by dkuchay » Tue Apr 14, 2015 15:14

Hello all,

Went to try 15.04 and ran in to a situation where the dvd I burned just ejects mid init. So I moved the iso to a USB drive and was able to get past the squashfs problem. I have a GT220 in my dell tower computer. The included driver fails to handshake with my graphics card. I was put in to a fluxbox ui and the commands for starting the installer would not work.

After trying some cheat codes, which I do not think worked, I was able to get to kde but then the installer failed. When firing off the liveinst.desktop errors aplenty. When using just liveinst it would freeze. Ctl+C would get once step in, starting anaconda.... But the installer never ran.

The cheat codes I tried were all combinations of xdriver=vesa and rmmod=nvidia

During init I saw 60 seconds worth of nvidia errors which makes me think that the codes were not passed. Not sure how to get past this. I may try test only to see if it takes for install. Just updating my original post.

Thank you
Daryl

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: squash and nvidia and installer problems

Post by joost » Tue Apr 14, 2015 21:41

Try adding this flag:

Code: Select all

modprobe.blacklist=nvidia
Also, have you tried the safe mode option to boot?
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

dkuchay
Baby Hen

Re: squash and nvidia and installer problems

Post by dkuchay » Wed Apr 15, 2015 17:01

That boot argument works, thank you.

That being said installer on the desktop never works. Firing up a terminal and running installer lets me know that SELinux is disabled. If I hit CTL+C a couple times I see a few python errors than anaconda loading but it never does. Typing liveinst got me in to a mess. I went through the text installer but it did not recognize the free space on the disk I aimed it towards. Was up most of the night rebuilding windows as the installer just formatted the whole drive. After that one I am going to try a linux that offers better hardware support out of the box so that I can get a dual boot system installed easier.

Thanks
Daryl