AMD APU Gnome Installation x64 - No DE

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

AMD APU Gnome Installation x64 - No DE

Postby chaogen07 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:18

I've looked through a few of the threads with similar problems and their solutions didn't work for me.

In essence the problem is that the 14.06 Gnome AMD64 doesn't startup with a DE. As such I cannot get the system to install. I've been able to get the DE loaded on 14.05, but if I upgrade from that release I wind up in the same conundrum, there will be no DE on the reboot.

I've tried starting x or restarting gdm, but these don't work. X will start up, but it will be the basic x gui. On the other hand gdm just seems to hang.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
chaogen07
Baby Hen

Re: AMD APU Gnome Installation x64 - No DE

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25

When you boot the LiveDVD, select "Console mode" from the menu, hit Enter, then, at the root prompt, enter the command "installer". Try that to see if you get further.

If the above does not get X Windows working in the installation, then try booting the LiveDVD, press the F5 function key, append a boot parameter to the kernel boot line and hit Enter. Try one of the following boot parameters:

Code: Select all
xdriver=ati

xdriver=radeon

xdriver=vesa

The first is to force the use of the closed-source AMD Catalyst driver (a.k.a. FGLRX). The second is to force the use of the open-source Radeon driver. The third is to force the use of the open-source VESA driver (the least capable, but the most likely to get to a working desktop from which you can then do some investigations).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**