NVidia GT 710M, no DE when booting from SabLive [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

NVidia GT 710M, no DE when booting from SabLive [Solved]

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 13:27

Hallo guys...
I'm here with a problem of a friend, a really newly to Linux at all. He is interested in Sabayon (KDE) because I can acompany him, that's the idea. Now the problem. He is owner of an Acer E1-571G, Intel core i5, 8GByte Ram, 256GByte ssd and ... an NVidia GT 710M of 2GByte dedicated ram. The documents say, this is an optimus card. That's the basics.
What did I? I've copied the latest daily build from SL, KDE, 64bit from 26/03/2014, which easily boots on my own Acer (NVidia GT 630M) or another, older laptop, which I have tested for.

In BIOS of my own laptop with GT 630M I can set 'integrated graphics'. In BIOS of Acer E1-571G with NVidia GT 710M, there is a 'greyed' information of 8192 GByte Ram and shared 128MByte for (Intel) graphics. But I can NOT set to 'integrated ram' in this BIOS. So then, I've booted with my latest Sabayon daily build on USB, which starts the first menu, where I set my language (with F2) and can set Kernel options with F5.
-When I start 'Sabayon Live' then the screen changes, showing some text (vga=791) and when there should KDE be started (the DE), then there is only a black screen. I've repeated this three times.
-When I start 'Sabayon Live' with adopted Kernel parameters (F5) with 'ro nomodeset' then there is the same problem, no DE, only black screen. I have tried also all of this:
https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=31015&p=167458&hilit=boot+nvidia#p167472

Sometimes, I get some weird, coloured dots on the screen, but I never received a working KDE. And finally, I have, just for test, booted with a Sabayon Live system of XFCE. It's the same appearance (problem).
Then I have created a bootable 'Kubuntu' Live USB stick. This Kubuntu (13.10) was able to boot through into a running Live KDE desktop.
I assume, that the Kernel parameters for booting this notebook where set to use the 'nouveau' graphic driver (module) for NVidia. I assume also, that Sabayon Live tries to use a proprietary driver (nvidia or so) for the GT 710M.
I've installed Kubuntu then. The point is, I rather prefer Sabayon Live due to several facts, repo handling, older KDE, installing packets (teamviewer is not possible..)

Essence of all: How can I force Sabayon Live Kernel to load only 'nouveau' while booting?
Is there any way possible to make the Sabayon Live system booting into a KDE desktop and finally to install SL on that notebook with an NVidia GT 710M?
Any help is appreciated. I want to make it possible for my friend to learn Sabayon Linux. Thank you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Tue Apr 01, 2014 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: NVidia GT 710M, no DE when booting from SabLive

Postby sabayonino » Mon Mar 31, 2014 18:26

linuxfluesterer wrote:

Essence of all: How can I force Sabayon Live Kernel to load only 'nouveau' while booting?
Is there any way possible to make the Sabayon Live system booting into a KDE desktop and finally to install SL on that notebook with an NVidia GT 710M?
Any help is appreciated. I want to make it possible for my friend to learn Sabayon Linux. Thank you.

append to the kernel line :
Code: Select all
xdriver=nouveau

then you can "mask" nvidia binary drivers
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: NVidia GT 710M, no DE when booting from SabLive

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 13:00

Thank you, Sabayonino.
Exactly with your appendence
xdriver=nouveau

I was still not able to boot into DE. But I have adopted other (known) parameters and changed your parameter to
nomodeset xdriver="nouveau"

that finally my boot parameters to reach KDE desktop is:
initrd=/boot/sabayon.igz aufs cdroot splash vga=791 nomodeset xdriver="nouveau" quiet --

Now, it works!
My friend's laptop boots the SL daily build into KDE desktop.
I will close this thread as solved. Anyway, now, there is another (new) problem which prevents to install Sabayon on disk.
I will open a new thread for this.

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**