No screen detected when start 14.01 amd64 GNOME [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

No screen detected when start 14.01 amd64 GNOME [Solved]

Postby Phenex » Sat Feb 08, 2014 13:02

Hello,

I can't install Sabayon on my laptop. It starts only in the shell, no graphical interface. If I try to run startx in the shell, it says that no screen as been found.

My laptop is an Asus G55VW with a Geforce GTX 660M. I tried to install from a DVD and an USB key. I also tried the ro nomodeset parameter, even if I'm not sure that I put it in the right place.

I used Ubuntu for several years, but I still consider myself as a newbie, so please try to be as complete as possible with the explanations ;-)

Thanx

Phenex
Phenex
Baby Hen

Re: No screen detected when starting Sabayon_Linux_14.01_amd

Postby sabayonino » Sat Feb 08, 2014 19:02

Hi

nomodset is param for ATI cards.

try to pass xdrivers=nvidia at kernel line (if your card is supported)

or

xdrivers=nv (opensource drivers)

see https://www.sabayon.org/latest and https://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4529
Erratas

NVIDIA Legacy GPU drivers are incorrectly configured, fix and workaround issued Bug 4529
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Phenex » Sat Feb 08, 2014 21:22

Hi, still doesn't work, tested with nvidia and nv :-(

Just to be sure, when you speak about kernel line, I guess it's the one beginning by linux /boot/sabayon aufs cdroot splash.... Am I right ?

I already tried 2h ago with the daily iso (last one found on the mirrors today), but there's no difference, so I guess it's not the same bug...

My card is supported by Ubuntu (kernel 3.11.0-15), or Fedora (tested almost a year ago), so it should be supported by Sabayon, no ?
Phenex
Baby Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat Feb 08, 2014 22:27

Phenex wrote:Just to be sure, when you speak about kernel line, I guess it's the one beginning by linux /boot/sabayon aufs cdroot splash.... Am I right ?

Yes,you are.

Phenex wrote:My card is supported by Ubuntu (kernel 3.11.0-15), or Fedora (tested almost a year ago), so it should be supported by Sabayon, no ?

not distro related but related by nvidia drivers
your card is supported by nvidia-drivers. (nvidia)

can you try VESA drivers ? xdrivers=vesa

[edit]
sorry , I think is xdriver=<something> not xdrivers :oops:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby nimoov » Sat Feb 08, 2014 23:44

Your laptop is most likely a Optimus laptop, which means it can switch between the integrated Intel GPU and the dedicated Nvidia GPU for accelerated graphics. Sabayon should have support for this out of the box, but according to my experience on multiply Optimus laptops it simply does not work. I have anyway fixed it by manually configuring my system to support it.

Here are the steps(commands):
eselect opengl set xorg-x11
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original

If you use kde:
systemctl restart kdm

If you use gnome:
systemctl restart gdm
nimoov
Baby Hen

Postby Phenex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22

can you try VESA drivers ? xdrivers=vesa

it worked ! I managed to install Sabayon, then activated the nv drivers after install, and now everything is fine (except webmin that won't start, but that's another problem). Thank you very much for your help ;-)

Your laptop is most likely a Optimus laptop, which means it can switch between the integrated Intel GPU and the dedicated Nvidia GPU for accelerated graphics. Sabayon should have support for this out of the box, but according to my experience on multiply Optimus laptops it simply does not work. I have anyway fixed it by manually configuring my system to support it.

No, it's not an Optimus, but thanks for your efforts. I managed to solve the problem in the meantime with the help of Sabayonino ;-)
Phenex
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**