Nvidia not working since sabayon 9

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Nvidia not working since sabayon 9

Postby leobing » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:32

I have a couple of laptops and a desktop. I get Sabayon 13.8 to install just fine in the laptops as they both use ATI video.
My Desktop has an NVIDIA built-in card. I was installing and using Sabayon from the beginning up to Sabayon 7. In Sabayon 8 the install went ok but as soon as I let it run the updater I would not have any working Video. All the later versions do not let me get a proper install the video showing up is 640x480 OS so I can't get to see the proper place to install the OS. I have my computers with partitions of about 50 gigs and so want to instal the OS in one of these partitions.
Now when I try to install Sabayon 13.8 into my Desktop, I get a lot of messages saying something like "cannot find Nvidia card". I could go out and buy an ATI card and make this OS to work here but that makes such poor sense to me that I refuse to do this. Surely there is someone on here with enough knowledge to advise me how to fix this problem. I think I might somehow get to recompile the kernel with the proper driver for Nvidia but as I can't even get the install to hardly start it looks very difficult.
If you think there might be some place I could get the help I need, I will appreciate it very much.
Here is my Desktops "lspci"
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
LINUX, no virus, no worms, no spy ware, no charge, so why Windows?
< running Linux > VE7UW/VE7OKV
leobing
Baby Hen

Re: Nvidia not working since sabayon 9

Postby wokko7 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 0:29

I have just install Sabayon Daily and had the same problem with my Nvidia card.
I install Nvidia-drivers and nvidia-settings but the driver wasn't working.
But then when I reinstalled the nvidia-driver, I noticed that it was builting the module for the 3.9 server kernel not the 3.10 kernel which what was what I was using, so I installed the proper Nvidia-driver for my kernel and now it is working great.
wokko7
Baby Hen

Re: Nvidia not working since sabayon 9

Postby B3rtm3n » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43

Code: Select all
eselect opengl list

will show the installed modules
For instance it shows this for me:

Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] ati
[2] nvidia *
[3] xorg-x11

the * shows which one is enabled. Sometimes after a kernel update it is not correctly installed or set correctly.

If you want nvidia in this case enable you have to do

eselect opengl set 2

If you are not sure all is correctly installed just do a new kernel install to pull in the correct drivers for your card too

kernel-switcher switch sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.9.11

check which driver is enabled

eselect opengl list

set it correct and do

equo deptest

equo libtest
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen